Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why not try digging??

"I'm not sure there's anything down there"

"Did you plant potatoes?"

"Well, yeah, but I've never done this before. Maybe they died out, or some animal ate them."

"So, did you get a plant with flowers?"

"Yes, I got plants with flowers, and the flowers died out, and I pulled up the plant"

"And you didn't even check to see if there's potatoes?"

"Hmm.. do you think I should?"

"Yes. I think you should. There's potatoes down there, I'm guessing."

So, my trusty gardener friend left me to me thoughts. The ground is hard and clay like. I didn't mix the soil with peat moss and compost. My dad told me to mound them up. I didn't do that either. I'm not a gardening genius, but that isn't saying much. But it is so much work to get the hoe and dig! It's not like I can't buy potatoes at the store.

Curiosity got the best of me. What if.. just what if.. there ARE potatoes down there? And I never pick them? I'll never know one way or the other unless I get the fork spade and get going.

I was praying that I'd even know what a potato in the ground looked like, if indeed, I did come across one. Pretty soon.. clunk. A roundish thing came to the surface.

Could it be? Could it really be a.. potato?? Wait a minute. This is purple. Did I plant purple potatoes? I did. I faintly remember planting purple potatoes way back, like 5 months ago.
And every time one came up, I yelled like a wild banchee, "Potato!!" so that all the cows in the field could hear. They are used to my yelling. I even went out the next day and found more than these. I think I planted 6 seedling potatoes--6!!
It is really a thing of beauty, you know? All lumpy bumpy and purple and food-a-licious all at once.
Perhaps I am not the first to make this correlation, but how often do we treat our Bibles like my potato patch. We have all sorts of excuses for not wanting to "dig" into the Bible.

It's hard. It's uncertain. Will all of this work be in vain? What will this investment of time and effort yield me? Just because my friend, who is an experienced gardener says there's potatoes in there, does not necessarily mean that there are! Do I have that kind of time??

And if I can be impressed by a lumpy, bumpy potato, covered in dirt, how easily impressed am I? But it is impressive to me because I dug it up! Well, I even planted it, if you want to get technical.

But that's the beauty of it. The Bible digging need not be impressive to anyone else except the digger. It's special because it is special in and of itself, but it is special because you and the Lord dug it and own it--however lumpy bumpy it may seem at the moment.

And this hedgehog is a lumpy bumpy Bible-study-er. But I do it. I get 'er done, however pathetic it seems at the moment. And just like a potato, it feeds me. However un-gourmet it may seem to others, it's a feast for me!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Congratulations on the potatoes.
I really like the way you correlated dig in the word with digging the potatoes. Well said.

Ruby said...

I love it too. I love the way, that just like the parables in the bible, we can find real life analogies in our everyday lives.
Want to see some potatoe dishes next :-)

Braley Mama said...

Beautiful!!! His word is so good, just like your potatoes:O)

CC said...

Thanks for digging down. I was deeply encouraged!

frugalouis said...

Great post...thanks!

And way to go on all those potatoes!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA! You're convicting me on two levels... getting deeper in the word, and - on a practical note - I think I planted some of those same purple potatoes!

Gotta go find them,

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

Great post! Love the analogy, and Wow! Awesome potatoes! I planted a potato vine last year and didn't get even one potato. It's a good thing we aren't the ones responsible for growing the treasures we dig out of God's Word!

Christy said...

Great potatoes! I remember a similar experience as a kid in my mom's garden. I also really appreciate your correlation to Scripture ... I am challenged to "dig in" again! Thanks.