Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Certain Hedgehogs should not be allowed out.

That would be me. The hedgehog in question is, of course, me. And I would have preferred not being let "out" this morning, but I was forced to go and conquer the world, even though our power was out. No power meant no water and no coffee. A hedgehog without a shower and coffee is a sorry creature. And did I mention getting dressed in the dark?

So, I dropped off the students at the aforementioned educational institution which poses as a church on the other 6 days of the week; i.e. Hallstrom. My husband teaches a Bible class, so I can leave, if I choose to leave. So, on this particular occasion, I chose to leave and get coffee.

So, I'm in the Starbucks--trying to get my bearings.. I mean.. the coffee, and it occurred to me that there's a bathroom in there with running water. So, without thinking too much about the repercussions of it, I stuck my head under the faucet in the Starbucks bathroom. I used a little hand soap to "wash" my mop and face. (Yes, I brought a gym bag with a towel in it) I brushed out my hair, put on some makeup and drank down a venti. I waltzed out of there like nobody's business. You would have thought I came from the salon or something.

I was thinking, "Now, this isn't so hard" and "maybe I should do this more often.." and went back to Hallstrom. I was no sooner finished with my breakfast and discussion with my new best friend, Ruth, when someone mentioned a "fundraiser" lunch for the Medieval History Class. All of a sudden, I gasped a big gulp of air.

Fundraiser! I volunteered to bring the meat for the fundraiser! What time was it? 9:30. It needed to be here BEFORE 11:30 for lunch.

At this point, the rest of the morning is a blur. I could picture the package of cooked, shredded beef sitting comfortably in my freezer at home. So, what happened next can only be described as an: ultra blitz.

And by the grace of God, no speeding tickets were issued. I got home, found the beef, and thawed/ cooked on high enough beef to qualify for a fundraiser. All the while, I am asking God for a miracle. And sure enough, he delivered. The beef got there, thawed and heated up by 11: 22?

And me? I was wondering where they issued the tranquilizers. But really, the rest of the day went pretty well, even though I didn't get home until 9:00 p.m. It's all in a day's work for the average hedgehog--but BOY, did that shower feel good!


The dB family said...

Whew! I'm sure you were glad that day was over. Oth, how awesome is that that you could get the meat cooked and have it there with minutes to spare. I'm not sure I could have done it in the same situation.

Hope today is a smoother day for you!


singtothelord2 said...

well done! :-) I probably would have went and bought some....God was good to get you there and back without incident. The washing in the starbucks bathroom cracks me up...hee hee...gave me a chuckle this morning. glad it all worked out.. looking forward to Saturday, hope I don't forget anything. :-)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Was the William Tell Overture playing in your head the whole time?! ;D

Hope your power is back,


Becky said...

I'm assuming the power was at least back on or you couldn't have cooked the beef, right?
Three cheers for the successful beef marathon.

Jenny P. said...

I can always count on you for a giggle, mostly because I can entirely picture it. Just like the van running out of gas twice in a single mile :D

God Bless and Happy Wednesday!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Another wild adventure! It's a good thing you had your coffee before your made meat dash! And praise the Lord for having someone remind you with just enough time to get your part done.

Mrs. Santos said...

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me!...the "rushing to get something done I forgot about", not the "starbucks salon thing" (smiles). Glad you made it. I love it how God shows us he is intimately involved in our lives.

Ruby said...

thanks, you just made my hectic day look like a walk in the park!