Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Felted leaf scarf

Hey everybody!! This has got to be the fastest, funnest no-sew craft that I've done in at least.. a month? Anyway, Here's the skinny on how to do this.
The scarf itself is the bottom ribbing of a (felted wool) sweater. How do you felt a sweater? You just throw it in the washer and dryer. If the fabric content is 100% wool, it will "felt" or mat and mesh the fibers together.
The leaf cutouts are felted wool backed with Steam a Seam and ironed on the scarf.
Some of the shapes were hand-cut, like the green leaf image and the ginko. Others were cut with my die-cut, Sizzix. I did not even sew them down, they are just ironed on. (I am secretly hoping that my mother will help me embellish these and sew them down..Mom??)
Happy Felted Fall!



8 comments:

Kari said...

That is a beautiful scarf :)

The dB family said...

Very pretty and simple too! How do you know when to decide to felt a sweater :o)?

Blessings!
Deborah

Organizing Mommy said...

Deborah: I buy wool sweaters all summer long at garage sales or second hand shops for the express purpose of having felting material. So, I rarely use sweaters from the closet!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Great project! That even looks like something that would be cool to do with kids if you had the leaves all cut out ahead of time. They could design their scarves and Mom could iron them. Hmm. I may have to revisit this some fall when I'm not pregnant.

Organizing Mommy said...

I almost forgot!! I let Emily make one also!! If you have a child who can use the Sizzix, they can even cut their own shapes.

Kathryn said...

This is darling! I can't work with wool at all - allergic.

Looks like a fun project.

Valerie said...

Some great info here. You have been publishing some interesting posts recently!

mmohome said...

Great project! That even looks like something that would be air-conditioned to do with kids if you had the leaves all cut out advanced of time. They could architecture their scarves and Mom could adamant them. Hmm. I may accept to revisit this some abatement if I'm not pregnant.