Sunday, November 14, 2010

Strange findings.


Now often do you see this? A squirrel on a vase.. Hey little critter! Howya doing, there, pard?
So, how did you get up there? And why are you sitting so still? Could it be that...
you were found "freshly wounded" on the side of the road and carefully transported with gloved hand and plastic baggy back home to the deck?

In other words, are you dead?
And then you were fancifully arranged with a decorative pine bough in a vase by a very weird hedgehog with an insatiable sense of humor? --who is expecting house guests in 18 minutes.

And the moment they glance out the window, they will immediately be overcome with some sort of reaction, which we are hoping to get on film. In the meantime, our family and our friend, Ryan, sit reading, studying, blogging, Bible studying, etc. waiting nonchalantly for the guests to arrive.

What I am wondering is who is going to win the theatrical award for the best "faking it" over the WOW factor of the squirrel posed (indefinitely) on the vase. Are you sitting on the edge of your seats like I am?

Phone just rang. Sure! They are going to be 22 minutes late. 22 minutes! Can you believe it?

My kids think I will NOT be able to pull it off, and they are right. But Oh, the fun of it.

And if you officially are not completely grossed out and overwhelmed at the thought of the hedgehog mommy carrying this dead animal all the way back to her house, I would like to console you Charlotte Mason purists that we dutifully drew it in our Nature Journals.

So, it was not only weird, it was educational. Except it was just Emily and I who were drawing dead squirrels in the journal. The rest of them were practicing French with Ryan at the table, who spent a few months in France. He ended up developing a really good French accent and a taste for fois gras.

And now he has the privilege of hanging out with the family of a dead animal collector and arranger.

Decorating with Dead Animals, a Youtube classic.

Dare to Decorate with roadkill, a best seller in the Home and Garden series.


My Classy Mother, by four disgruntled teenagers.

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. When are those guests going to arrive?? I'll post up if anything exciting happens, OK?

15 comments:

The dB family said...

*Giggle* I can't believe you did that -- or maybe I can. Too funny! I hope your guests are duley impressed ;o)! Have fun!!

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, that is too awesome for words!

Must. See. Their. Reaction.

And, BTW, it would only creep me out if you were eating it.

You know, the Roadkill Cafe... you kill it, we grill it.

Julie

Sabrina said...

I think it's hilarious!! And I cannot wait for pictures!

Jenny P. said...

This is probably the weirdest thing that I've read on your blog, to date. I'm intrigued to see how it all turns out.

PS: I put up my first "bump shot" on my blog today! Thought you might like to know :)

Braley Mama said...

lol, i love it!!!!
i would laugh my booty off if i was your guest!

sara said...

I really thought that I was the weirdest person I know. But if an online acquaintance counts, then you are definitely the weirdest person I know. You found a dead animal, posed it, and took pictures of it! for laughs! :D

MommaMindy said...

I don't think I wanna know what you are serving for dinner...

MommaMindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Parunak said...

Well, you know posing dead animals is what taxidermy is all about, so you're not THAT weird really. It's just that your squirrel still has guts in it and will probably rot, and, oh never mind...

Organizing Mommy said...

UPDATE: Mr. Bjorlie arrived with his sister, Anna. They finally did see it and said something like, "I'm glad we ate before we saw that.." LOL.

Thankfully, it is supposed to get down to freezing tonight, so I think it will be preserved for a few days until my mother gets here. And then we'll dispose of it.

momstheword said...

I knew a homeschooler that took some road kill home and they studied it for biology. That's hard-core homeschooling because I would not have dissected that thing, lol!

My friend found "her" cat by the side of the road and tearfully put it in her trunk. Then she drove home and as she pulled into the driveway her cat was waiting for her on the front porch, lol!

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Ruby said...

Ha.. If we did that with a kangaroo, koala or a possum here someone would be sure to call the RSPCA!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oooo, I know homeschoolers who dissect roadkill out here, too.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are on a roll. Gracious sakes alive!

You know, we enjoyed the "moose" the other night and all...*snicker, guffaw*

-LA

frugalouis said...

That is hilarious! It looks like he's hugging the little tree!