Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This happens to men too?

Today at the end of the Hallstrom day, I drove by the lower parking lot and noticed our "Hallstrom chaplain", Dave Spooner sort of circling his vehicle with a perplexed look on his face. He appeared to be studying the front of his car with a "I'm not sure what to do next" look on his face.

As I was driving by, I rolled down the window, "Hey, do you need a jump?" "Did you lock your keys in the car?" "Flat tire?" (All of which have happened to me during the Hallstrom experience at least once..)

Instead he just looked up and said, "I have no idea what to do next. My brain is so confused."

"But your car is OK?" I asked.

"Yeah. The car is fine, but I can't even think."

"Oh.. Hallstrom brain. You'll get used to it. It's our ninth year here.."

"So, you know exactly what this is like, then."

"Yeah. Try some coffee. It helps." And I drove off.

Poor guy. I wasn't sure if I should go through the descent checklist with him or just let him figure it out on his own.

One would think it should be fairly straight-forward--going to a place where all of these other homeschooling families are for the day. Kind of fun--upbeat.. right? Except constant stimulation for 8 hours (and with women! and teenagers!) in a confined place?! And it kills even the most gregarious extroverts among us. (And that's not including the moms with nursing babies and poopy toddlers!)

If there were a program designed to single-handedly suck the life out of as many people as possible, simultaneously in the shortest amount of time, an all day homeschool co-op would be it. And yet, we love it, don't we? Don't we, Pastor Spooner? (who is now konked out on the couch, unable to even utter mono-syllables to his poor wife, who is probably all cheerful)
"How was your day, honey?"
Spooner: "Uh... are you talking to me?"
Spooner's wife: "Was it so fun being there with all the kids and families?"
Spooner: "yup. fun. What were we talking about again?"
Spooner's wife: "You know, Hallstrom.. where you were so excited to be the chaplain??"
Spooner: (puts pillow over his head and hides) "AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

Well this is purely made up, of course. But this is just what our husbands are doing with us on Tuesday nights.

Hallstrom husband: "What's for dinner, honey?"
Hallstrom wife: "What? You have GOT to be kidding."
Husband: "Oh, yeah. I forget. Hallstrom."
Hallstrom wife: "I'm taking a bath. See you in the morning."
Husband: "Pizza anyone?"

So, really. What is that is holding back the rest of you from homeschooling anyway? !!!

7 comments:

Ruby said...

LOL! I can just image it! We have social days, you know, very relaxed and low key with maybe sixty plus mums and kids, and they wear me out. I can't imagine actually trying to academic work all day long.
Honey, just order in pizza. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Mrs. Parunak said...

This is SO ironic. Would you believe that not one hour ago, I was contemplating starting a very small co-op of sorts with another mom? Is this a prophetic warning to me to keep the "home" in "homeschool?" Ah, but you did say you love it, and my little shtick would NOT be eight hours, so we might survive.

Organizing Mommy said...

Mrs. P: Homeschool co-ops are wonderful. I feel bad for even "complaining". It has helped us get through the high school years and into college successfully without a hitch, but they ARE exhausting. There's no way to be at home the rest of the week and do a week's worth of school assignments in one day.

But there are other co-ops that only meet once a month or once every other week and do not assign homework, etc. Ours is a homeschool co-op on steroids, if you will...

And I am SOOOOOO Thankful for it. (Now that it is Wednesday morning, and I've had a good night's sleep...)

Braley Mama said...

lol!!!
nice one!

Kristen said...

Love it and glad to know I'm not the only one that is worn out on co-op day! I always just come home and crash. It's definitely worth it, though.

The dB family said...

Lol! Love it!!

Blessings!
Deborah

Mousetower said...

I feel your pain. I work until Midnight-1 am then the kids and I go off to co-op. We need to leave the house by 9 am, then co-op until 3 pm. Home by 3:30 or 4 pm. Then we had field hockey at 5:30 and I had to be back at work by 8:30pm. It is a wonder I made it though the semester.

But all that being said, it is worth every bit of sanity! The homework, the falling asleep at practice, the lesson planning, etc. Because my son made wonderful friends and my daughter got a chance to try out so many different subjects.

Of course now I am planning the spring co-op. I can hardly wait!!!