Monday, December 6, 2010

Catching the Sunset

I made a decision this weekend. What now? No. I'm not writing a book. I'm not even reading a book, for that matter.

My decision is very simple.

For every day that it is humanly possible
I am going to catch the sunset. No matter where I am or who I'm with or what I'm doing,
the sun needs to go down. Even if it is snowy, cold and dark out, the sun usually peeks its
head sooner or later, usually during sunset. And why not take 5 minutes out of my day (for the year of 2011) and go "catch" it??
So, here we are on day 3 of my catching. Today was 4: 18 p.m. Yesterday it was more like 4: 23 p.m. The view out into the backyard into the adjoining field looks very similar to yesterday. The sun sets right over there on those fields back there. The sky gets a peachy-pink hue to it. The blackness of the trees show their definition.
The crispy snow makes little dancing effects in the shadows of the fast diminishing sunlight.
And all for what? Did God make it so pretty so we could just ignore its beauty every day? No! But we always have some excuse why we are too busy to just get outside and see it. Well, not any more. God has it there for a purpose.

It's a time of reflection. A time to pause and wonder what God is doing right here, right now.

And it doesn't have to even be profound, which is a good thing. Since I am still wondering when a high brow thought will come to me. But I will say this. I am feeling a lot better from the after-effects of the cruise medicine. I think I've been "on the planet" since Saturday. And the first profitable thought I had was to catch the sunset.

Wow. Why do we even try to decorate? Just open up the window and look outside. That should be all the decoration anyone ever needs."

So there you go. High brow thought 1. Go look at the sunset. It is much better decoration than anything anyone can come up with and as far I know, they aren't charging for it yet.

4 comments:

Braley Mama said...

Amen sister!!!!! You got some really awesome shots of His creation!!!!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Beautiful pictures! I think it's been a few weeks since I saw a sunset. It's terrible really. Thanks for the encouragement to really take in the beauty of God's creation!

And I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after more time off the medication.

Mrs. Santos said...

How wonderful! I agree that nothing beats God's lights and decorations. I'm glad you are encouraging us to go catch a sunset and not a sunrise, LOL.

The dB family said...

The sunrises are gorgeous too, but I know, that's likely pushing it at this time of the year!

Blessings!
Deborah