Monday, December 27, 2010

Family photo op with French T-shirts

If anybody wonders where I get "it"--whatever it is, look no further.

Exhibit: A-- my mother..She's calm, non-expressive and in the background at all times--just like me.

She and my Dad, Terry, joined us for the holidays.
Mom and Dad are the only ones not wearing the white uniform.
Mom is wearing the scarf I made for her, and the necklace Joanna made for her.
The white uniforms inspired us to try four distinct weird poses, taken within a millisecond of each other via the tripod.
My kids wasted no time being themselves.
Notice who is doing the action, and who is sitting there calmly.
It's a mini-snapshot of our lives.
So, what are these crazy white shirts anyway?
After much disappointment, I came up with a solution. Well, what was the disappointment? And what was the solution?
Every time Will goes to France, (which is often--he's going for the fourth time in 18 months..) I tell him to "pick up T-shirts for the kids.. you know how they love T-shirts"..

And every time, he can not find T-shirts.
So, when I went to France with him (last year in September), I thought I'd make this right. I'm good at finding T-shirts and shopping. NO LUCK! Even in the airport, I could not even find a simple T-shirt that said "Paris"...
So, I went online. Surely, there must be something decent in French that would pose as a T-shirt from France. Nothing. Dumb sports T-shirts. Nothing cool. Definitely nothing my kids would like.

So, I did what most Americans do--I thought outside the box. I got creative. I designed my own. With the help of a creative young gal named Sara, the plan came together. She helped me make some creative design decisions.
I had one of Will's co-workers, Philippe from Dijon, translate a saying and then went to UBER prints, and had these made up.
Now, the real question is: what does it say? I think if you click on one of the photos, you should be able to get the front and back and translate.
I know that there are enough of you French-speaking smartie-pants out there..
who have nothing better to do than translate. In the meantime, you can just imagine
what I could possibly want to say in French that I could not communicate in English! Can you guess??

In case you can not read the T-shirt, the French saying is:


Chaque fois que Papa va en France , il ne ramène jamais de T-shirt avec le nom de la ville où il se trouvait ! Apparemment les Français pensent que ces T-shirts sont sans intérêt ou de mauvais goût .
Nous avons donc créé nos propres T-shirts en prenant des photos sur internet .
Ah Bon ! Bien sûr , les Américains sont malins comme ça !

10 comments:

Paula C. said...

according to Google translate:
Whenever Dad went to France, he never brings T-shirt with the name of the city where he was! Apparently the French think that these shirts are uninteresting or distasteful.
So we created our own T-shirts, taking pictures on the internet.
Oh Well! Of course, Americans are smart like that!

I wish I had the internet when I was taking Spanish in high school and college. I'm holding out for the universal translator.

Braley Mama said...

Ceux sont si mignons! Vous êtes une mère très créatif et amusant! Je vous aime!

Rébecca said...

Oh my ! I love those ! I want one. And I want to see how French people react when they see that T-Shirt.
(the lady in Toulouse)

Jenny P. said...

J'y adore! C'est parfait!

And I love that in every family picture, everyone is scrambling around and I don't think your husband even *budged* between frames. Did you plan that, or did it just happen?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Whenever Dad went to France, he never brings T-shirt with the name of the city where he was! Apparently the French think that these shirts are uninteresting or distasteful.
So we created our own T-shirts, taking pictures on the internet.
Oh Well! Of course, Americans are smart like that!

Paula beat me to it... had to ask "my big brother, Google" ;D

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

I can share the design with you, if you want to order your own, Rebecca from Toulouse! And Will is going to Toulouse in January!

The dB family said...

Vous êtes très intelligent pour trouver des T-shirts comme ça!

I would love to see you all wear them in France! I wonder what would happen ;o)? Very strange that they don't have T-shirts with their country advertised. Très bizarre!

Blessings!
Deborah

Rébecca said...

Mais non ce n'est pas bizarre, que que cela n'est pas très classe de porter des T-shirts de touristes ! Par contre, pour trouver des T-shirts qui disent New York ou Los Angeles, il n'y a aucun problème, on en trouve dans n'importe quel supermarché !

Mrs. Parunak said...

Awesome! I love your shirts!

kl said...

Those t-shirts are wonderful! I search for t-shirts with city names and places on them.