Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to the busy life..

Vacation is officially over. Here is how I know that: Jamie went back to college, Hallstrom starts tomorrow, and I'm back to teaching pilates Mondays at lunchtime.

But, wow! Has it been a great vacation--probably our best ever. And we did.. basically.. nothing.

As I was driving Jamie to his pickup spot for his ride back, I asked him if he was disappointed that we didn't "do anything" while he was home. He assured me that me planning all of his activities for him would not have been "special" in his mind.

He enjoyed playing interactive IPOD games with his brothers, shopping and going out to lunch with Hud (without any adults), and just sleeping in or staying up late.

I did manage to make him his favorite food while he was home: pasties. As I was making them, I got a high-brow notion that I could make a video on how to make pasties! But then I noticed that my husband did not even eat the crust. And it's all about the crust. So, I asked him about the crust. "It's a little tough"..

Crust is supposed to be flaky, not tough. On second thought, I do not think I will inflict the general population with a video on how to make a tough-crusted pasty. Although, Jamie said they were awesome, and that is all that matters, eh?

Another thing we did over break is de-clutter and organize. And normally, I would be down there, taking before and after pictures of all of this. But this time, I just didn't feel like it. What I still can not get my head around is this: why does it KEEP getting messy? When is it going to stop and stay clean for a while??

Oh, I can tell you why. We all know why. It is STUFF. More and more and more STUFF keeps creeping into the house like a bacteria.(bacterium? )

So, this past Saturday there was a ladies' lunch and gift exchange. I filled up 5 bags full of "stuff" from my collections, and made them "white elephant" gifts.

I'm not sure what my friend Valerie is going to do with her Buddha lady wearing a g-string bikini (a gift for my 40th from a Buddhist-thinking friend), but it was definitely worth the laugh!!

The next day at church I asked her husband, Scott, what they planned to do with the Buddha lady. "Oh, it's hanging from my mirror in my car" ROAR!

In Buddhist theory, the fat buddha represents prosperity and happy life. I think I've had a double dose of prosperity (just look at my dungeon!) and I'd like to pass that on to someone else now.

So, to a less "prosperous" new year! Go forth and get rid of some of that prosperity! Share the wealth, OK?

4 comments:

Braley Mama said...

Amen! We live in such a small apt. and I feel like I have to go thru and get rid of stuff every month......amazing how it sneaks in :O)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Oh yes, the endless cascade of stuff! I wish I could figure out how to keep the flow rate down better! That'd be a good organizing post for you: how to keep stuff out of your house in the first place.

momstheword said...

I see that I am not the only one who decluttered over the holidays, lol!

Our oldest was home from college for two weeks. During that time he was busy but we did manage to find some family time.

He does have scholarships but is also working his way through college, so he was able to pick up some hours at his old job, saw some old friends, and managed to eat and sleep (something I'm pretty sure he doesn't do at college, lol!).

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Organizing Mommy said...

Oh Mrs. P-- I could never write that post. Way too much stuff comes in here!! It would take hypocrisy to a whole new level.