Monday, January 24, 2011

In honor of the Algiers Accords..

This weekend I received an envelope from Starbucks with my name addressed to it. Greedily and hungrily I opened it up. Sure enough, a giftcard for my birthday, or at least that's what I thought.

It was from my high-brow, college-student-of-a-son, who had it shipped directly to me-- no doubt from his online shopping hobby that he has acquired. But there was something curious about the note inside of it.

No where in the envelope did it say "Happy Birthday, Mom--you're the greatest" or anything like that. In fact, there was no birthday greeting at all.

It just said: January 19--in honor of the Algiers Accords..

So, what are the Algiers Accords? Well, do you remember that big Iran-hostage scandal back in the 80's? Yeah, well, me neither. Well, I sort of do because I think I had to have an opinion on such things in order to write critical essays for Mrs. Charter's English class. But it isn't something I thought about a lot then or even now, except for the fact that we have an official holiday commemorating it on January 19th.

So, I hope you all got giftcards for Starbucks to celebrate this grand event in history. What?? Are you saying that you didn't get one? Well, if I were to be honest, this is my first time celebrating that occasion also (at least with a gift card).. Usually, I celebrate it with a dinner out or balloons or some other sort of frivolity. Not this year. It's just coffee for me. Serious coffee and serious peace talks. I'm all grown up now.

Speaking of grown up. My crazy little clone of a daughter pounced out of her older sister's room all decked out in something. The expression on her face was the same as it would be if she had just snatched a cookie or something. And she was all giggles. So what was she wearing? On the outside of her dress, she had on what normally would be worn underneath the dress.. on the upper half. And she flew out of the room like a canon ball saying "pretty bra.. pretty bra.."

And I scooped her right back into my room and suggested that under normal circumstances, these items are worn under the clothes and not until one is atleast at the ripe old age of 12!

She thought 13 might be a good age. And No, I did not get upset with her. How could I when she looked so cute? I was just glad that our normal house-full of guests had already departed for the day. And I do not have the heart to tell her that, if she is anything like her mother, she will be beyond the ripe old age of 13 when she actually needs to wear that item...

Until then, I'll be celebrating some of the forgotten holidays and hiding my underwear during dress-up time.

6 comments:

Braley Mama said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
My 3 year old is a bit obsessed with bras. What ever :O)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA HA HA!

and Happy Birthday to you !!!

Julie

Jenny P. said...

Happy Birthday!

Mrs. Parunak said...

What an awesome note for your gift card. And so thoughtful of your son to help you celebrate such an important holiday as the Algiers Accords, which so often go unnoticed, upstaged by a certain person's birthday.

Becky said...

Well, at least the older one was spared the embarrassment. Just ask my oldest about how much you want the floor to open right up underneath you and let you drop away - far, far, away - when one of your younger sisters (I think the culprit was about 4 at the time) comes out of her sister's room, during a family dinner, and shows one off going, "Look what _______ gets to wear now!!"

Organizing Mommy said...

Becky!! that sounds hysterical and awful.. We had an entire group of young men here last week, roofing the house. I'm so glad she waited until the house was empty for her stunt!