Friday, January 28, 2011

Studying with the O.M.

I think we have reached that critical phase of life.

It's that phase that starts when someone else hands you a pair of glasses and says, "See? I think you need these.."
And I'm like, "No, I'm just fine." Except I'm not. Not only is there not enough light in this world (seasonal lack of light disorder), but I'm having a time seeing what is out there.

And I have to see because I'm teaching others how to study. Yes, it is that time of year again--the study skills time of year!!

It's that time of year where I am supposed to make learning fun and lively and impart some great wisdom about studying. Yes, the annual winter semester study skills class has ensued. And I have 10 bright, willing, eager and studious pupils ready for me to change their paradigms.. I mean.. GPAs.. into a bright future.

So, I asked the kids why studying was important. Among the many answers, the most hilarious one was this.

You need to study and get good grades so you can go to college and then law school and make a lot of money because you'll need a nice car and girls like nice cars and money. (sic)

really.

Perhaps, he was just voicing what all the other guys were thinking.

With high and lofty goals like that, what's holding us back? And then, I gently reminded him that this was a Christian co-op, and we were going to try and be slightly less materialistic in our goals. Not that those other things do not have merit. They do, but I would like to think there are a few other reasons why studying is important for young people.

So, why IS studying important anyway? Is it just so you can wear glasses and look studious once in a while?

If I get any high-brow thoughts on this topic, I may end up tossing them your way. If not, I'm just going to wear my glasses while I'm correcting critical essays and think high brow thoughts here and there...

9 comments:

Kelly L said...

Funny - My high school starts independent study this Monday and I am praying for God's wisdom to help me to keep her motivated on task...

Love to you
Kelly
I've Become My Mother

The Boojes said...

Hey! They glasses look nice! I wear glasses/contacts anyway, so I don't think it will bother me so much...but when my hubby gets there! Poor guy; that will be a shocker! =)

The dB family said...

I'm due for glasses very soon, but they have nothing to do with studying -- unless you count knowing which off ramp to take.

Happy learning!
Deborah

Jenny P. said...

Glasses are studious; I always wore them when I was assigning tests during my brief teaching stint. I've worn vision correction since I was 6.

As brilliant as your student's answer to "why study?" was, he missed the real answer: "You must study to stay busy and out of trouble / your parents' way!"

Mandy, Momof9 said...

Laughter abounds in New Hampshire while reading your post. So you have joined as my girls say the 4 eyes club. If comments are made you can always say..."the better to see you with"!!
I am sure your students will b inspired to study now that you have set them on the proper course!!
Thanks for your post--you bring smiles to a lot of people!!!

Kathryn said...

Well, i'm quite a bit older than you and i don't rely on reading glasses yet. My eyes do adjust, tho i find that it takes longer and more light these days. I'm a big Bates' Method fan, tho i don't utilize it all that much.

Of course, an eye doctor will tell you Bates doesn't work, but follow the money. The eye doc makes more money selling glasses.

Ah, well, Bates takes some practice and patience. When you are doing a lot of reading, that isn't always easy.

And you look cute in glasses! :)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Love the glasses! I'll probably be needing them for reading and other close work before long. *sigh*

Why should we study?

Low-brow: Because "Do you want fries with that?" isn't a long-term career path.

High-brow: Matt. 22:37 (and in the other gospels):

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

Julie: do you want fries with that?? LMHO (head)

That was my motivation with my own children, but I hate to admit it! Looks like I just did!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Nice glasses! I think you look fabulous.

For why study:

High Brow Christian: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).

Mid Brow Christian: "And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing" (1 Thessalonians 4:11,12).

Low Brow Christian: Yeah, I know Ecclesiastes 12:12 says, "much study is a weariness of the flesh," but seriously, do you want fries with that?