Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Family times..winter carnival part 1


So, our entire family traveled up north to Michigan Tech University's Winter Carnival. As soon as Jamie decided to go to this school, we put it on our calendars to visit for the famous event.  The population of the local towns double during this weekend every year.  

 Part of the big attraction of the event is the amazing ice sculptures.  The theme was "stories".  The Campus Crusade group put together this beautiful Bible story sculpture.  I think they got first place for the campus organization category.
 Genesis..
 the Cross..
 the Revelation..
 For God so loved...    Yes, this is a secular school!  Christ is alive and well on the campus.  I was so encouraged by the evidences of God's love in this little area of the world.  During the tour, we noticed a sign that pointed toward "free coffee, hot chocolate and bathrooms".  When we followed the sign, it was the "Evangel Baptist Church" located right off campus.  So, we got to meet some more believers associated with the campus.    Jamie's friend, Wes, goes to that church.


The next sculpture was hilarious in my mind.  All of the other ones were an obvious allusion to some famous story (the Bible, the Hobbit, the Three Little Pigs or Alice in Wonderland  for example).

But not this one.

It was just a great big 42 and "don't panic" at the bottom.
 So, we made up our own story.

On my facebook page, I have this as my profile pic with the caption, "I'm trying not to panic, but how did they know I was 42 this year?!!"  I wonder if all of the other people born in 1969 did the same thing??  What?  Are you saying that they didn't??


 And a trip up to Tech would not be complete without a visit to my college roomie's home and church.  Here we are-- Amy and I.
 We aren't 42, we're 22.  It feels hilarious to be in contact with my college buddy through my own son's college experience.  Life has gone full circle.
 And we both agree that it is hard to be middle-aged beauty queens, but somebody's gotta do it.  I volunteer her.

And her family (below).  Don't you love them?

Don't they look normal?  except when they don't?



 Joanna bonded with the girls just fine.

Saying goodbye to my warrior-college student, son.

This is the sculpture his ROTC group worked on--3 little pigs.  Our oldest AND youngest together--two bookends..  What a fun time! 


12 comments:

Becky said...

It's when a family is being goofy that they look more normal than ever.

Kari said...

The "42 Don't Panic" is from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :) Good book series :) But I am sure it was for you also! Just a coincidence that it is from a book :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

What incredible ice sculptures! I love that Campus Crusade was able to do something so Biblical, and that they not only got away with it but they won an award, too. How awesome.

Becky O said...

Kari beat me to it, but yeah, "42" and "Don't panic"... Doulas Adams + BBC radio = epic classic!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Ya'know, now that you have the great pic you'll have to read it!

MommaMindy said...

you look SO cold....we had a little snow today, we brought it into the house, make snowcones, and now the snow is gone...

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, fun!!! Love the coming full circle with your roomie, and how fun both families look!

And very cool ice sculptures ;D

Julie

xxcoreylegrosxx said...

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend with family and friends. I love the ice sculptures!
Carrie

Organizing Mommy said...

HA! I knew someone would know the story behind "42"..thanks everyone. I'll have to listen to it sometime on audio book. Guide to the universe, eh? Sounds clever.

sara said...

Those sculptures are amazing!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Funny series. 42 is the answer to "life, the universe, and everything."

sara said...

oops, that's what I get for not reading the comments before mine. :)

Jenny P. said...

Just a warning -- don't have Emily around when you listen to Hitchiker's Guide! It's not a kid friendly book! Doesn't mean it's not worth reading/listening to (I personally quite love it) but yeah... not kid friendly.

Panic Attacks said...

As you have decided to go Michigan Tech University's Winter Carnival with the family then you must enjoy their. As there is lot of rush of local residents.