Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Ma'am..

This past weekend our entire family traveled north to visit "the Yoop"; that is, my home frontier-land, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Most of my family still lives up there, including my brother, who is about to turn 40, and my grandparents who are 90 and 92, and (of course) my Mom and Dad, and aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

So, we arrived in Gwinn on Thursday and went to directly to my grandparents' new home. Grandpa was laid out on the couch, and Grandma was nearby in a rocking chair. They both looked so sweet, but Grandpa has really aged.

One of his issues is not sleeping well at night. Poor Grandma is exhausted and discouraged. Not only is Grandpa having "bathroom issues", but he is getting up at night a lot AND making her get up with him.

Now, there isn't a whole lot anyone can do about this. Grandpa might have to go to the nursing home, but until then, poor Grandma is going to be wandering around in a zombie state.

So, I decided to give Grandpa a little "encouragement".

"Hey Grandpa.. When you go to bed tonight, you are going to sleep ALL NIGHT LONG, you know that, don't you? Say YES MA'AM.."

Grandpa says, "No ma'am"

Everyone bursts into laughter. There's no pushing this guy around, I guess.

So, I waited a little while. I noticed his eyes were getting droopy and he was nodding off.

"Hey Gramps. This is NOT bedtime. Get awake. And you are going to sleep ALL NIGHT TONIGHT. Say YES MA'AM.."

Grandpa says, "No ma'am"

A little more time passes. In the meantime, both of my parents (ages 65 and 67) have decided that this would be a good time to inform my brother that I will not be taking care of them when they get older. Tony just shakes his head. Everyone is stunned. Everyone except Grandpa. He's milking this up for all its worth. He likes the attention AND he gets laughs when he is the BAD boy.

So, I tried one more time.

"Now really Gramp, you really DO want to sleep all night, right?"

And I got him to say "Yes, ma'am.."

finally. Uffda. It's hard being in charge of stuff, you know?!!

So, the next day rolls around. Grandma could not believe it. Guess what happened?!!

That's right. Grandpa slept through the night. (And it wasn't because of my bossing. I actually prayed for him) But that's another story, since no one in my family is used to talking about things like prayer--except my mother. She loves it. The rest of them? not so much.

So, the next day the word got out.

"So, she cast a spell on him, eh?" "You should keep her around.."

Prayer/ spell.. sort of the same thing in a very round-about way. Except it isn't, but I'm not telling them that.

And that was just the first few hours of the trip. There are many other things to talk about. I want to show you pictures of the winter carnival. I want to tell you about my new best friend that I met in the Goodwill. And President Obama's visit to Marquette, which happened to be the same day we were there.

Unfortunately, I was too busy to get over and see him, and I didn't have an invite, so I guess it was just as well. But it was a historic visit on many accounts. LOL.

4 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Priceless! Another fabulous Organizing Mommy story!

Shelly said...

Ah, those crazy Parlatos, how I miss you all.

Kathi said...

I wish you could take care of me when I get old! I'd love to sleep through the night and have your prayerful encouragement! Too fun!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Gee, I got the wrong idea at the beginning when you said he was "laid out" on the couch. Glad he's still breathing!

And you still have grandparents?!?! How cool is that!

Julie