Saturday, February 19, 2011

Update on Gramps..

Emily and I are snuggled right up with Grandpa Al and Grandma Mary on the couch. This was right before he slept all night long.

After we left, he started to decline mentally and physically. So, the decision was made to have him go to the nursing home. I know it was a hard decision for everyone, but this is the only way he will be cared for safely.

So, my mom took Grandma up to visit Grandpa today. He is having a hard time remembering who everyone is. Of my grandma, he said, "You're the other one".. which I think he meant--the other half of me. You are my other half.

Of my dad, he wasn't sure who he was. "Dad! Who am I?" "thinking.. I'm thinking.. I know this.." but he couldn't come up with the answer.

So, then my mother was sitting with Grandma, visiting with Grandpa and she had a water bottle with her. And just then, Grandpa bursts out, "I want a water bottle like Judy has!"

Granted, my mother IS special and the BEST daughter-in-law anyone could hope for, but everyone burst out laughing when he could remember her and not his wife or son!

The mind is a curious thing, isn't it?

And the worst part about this (for me, personally) is that he has never had an interest in making things right with his creator, and there seems little hope that this will all come together for him in his final days. I know God is able to communicate with people in ways that don't seem traditional, and I am hoping this will be what happens this time.

God is able.

4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Jena, that's hard all around. Hard to have to put him in a nursing home, even when it's the best decision. But much harder seeing him facing these days without being reconciled to God.

Praying for you,

Julie

MommaMindy said...

Praying for you, dear sister, and for the salvation of this dear man.

I still grieve over losing my grandmother over 14 years ago. I had no indication that she believed the Gospel, but in her last weeks of us preaching, she might have. I think not knowing for sure has been easier than if I had heard her reject the Gospel one more final time.

Praying, dear sister. Thanks for praying for us in our trials. We certainly need them.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Watching someone decline when they don't know the Lord is so sad. You can see the last of the sand slipping down the hole in the hour glass and it feels kind of desperate. But I liked how you ended your post. "God is able" So true.

Kathi said...

My mom got saved during a rare few minutes of clarity after months of Alzhiemer confusion. She came to live with us after she had totally worn my dad out. One night while I was tucking her in, she said, "I want to know the way home." "You mean to visit Dad," I asked. "No..." she hesitated. "You mean the way home to heaven?" I asked. "YES!" she answered. I explained the gospel and she seemed to understand everything and prayed ON HER OWN, asking God to forgive her for her sins and for Christ to be her Savior. That half-hour interlude was the ONLY truly lucid time she had between then and her death, some years later, but I never doubted the reality of her salvation because she became peaceful after that and never seemed restless as she had chronically been before! While there's life, there's hope! Let's keep praying!!