Saturday, February 26, 2011

Yellow.. is my favorite color of the day.

Almost everyday, Emily and I decide what our favorite color is for that day.  I love it because we don't need to choose a favorite color for the rest of our lives.. just a color for.. today.

 And that isn't too hard when it is February.  It HAS to be a happy, warm color.  In honor of my "new" sweater, yellow has been the color du jour.  So, both Emily and I put on our yellow duds on my last stay-at-home day, which was Thursday.
 And we did a little school together and had some fun.  She was telling me that her favorite word to read was "map" just then.  I told her my favorite word to read was "GPS" instead.  (not really)

On a stay-at-home day, I usually have someone begging me to leave the house for some reason or another.  But, I have to catch up on laundry, naps and..
candles!!  Yes, there some crafts going on around here. 
 Every time I make candles, I say, "that's it.  This is totally the last time I do this"  until I do it again. the Reason?  My candles never turn out that great.  I don't follow instructions very well, and it's more about playing with the wax than anything.  But I have a lot of reasons to keep making candles.  First of all, it is fun.  Second of all, it is frugal.  And last of all, it needs to be done.
 So, what prompted all of this?  My mother told me she was getting rid of a bunch of candles.  Easy enough.  I melted them down and added red color.  All of the red candles are from my mother's melted down candles.
 Oh, and these shells!  I was cleaning my mother-in-law's garage, and she had a bunch of shells that she wanted to get rid of.  She said that she was going to make candles with them, so I think she'll be getting some.
 I have no idea how these are going to turn out or if they'll last beyond two minutes after they're lit, but they are kind of cool looking.
 The blue and yellow candles were from "extra" wax I had laying around here.  All the jars were here also.  Generally, when I buy store-bought candles, I just heat up the jar and remove the wax and use them to make homemade candles. I had some wicking from my previous candle-making adventures.  So, No, I did not have to leave the house to make these.  (That is a scary thought all by itself.. but another story)
 As you can see, there was quite a collection. I counted 28 of them!  That should last me for a few months, I think!
 And I'll give some back to my mother who gave me the wax in the first place.

This is how the organizing mommy keeps the world entertained for one more day.  Make my home sing/ moms the word link up.

4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oooo, I love candles. Have them going nearly all year. Very cozy :D

Well done, you!

Julie

Gretchen said...

You’re amazing – my girls made candle once with their cousin and it was a good thing I was not home. :o) It has been great getting to know you better, I think life is just better with friends! Here is the link to the website –
www.easysite.com/spooner
See you Tuesday! Have a wonderful Monday!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I LOVE your candles in the shells! What a cool idea. We've tried making candles several times recently and have had lots of fun. We've mostly been dipping ours, but just pouring wax into something looks lots simpler.

momstheword said...

I love a stay at home day! I have to admit that I don't light candles very often but when I do I love it!

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!