Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dinner Conversation chaos

One of the joys of having a bigger family is the joy of eating as a big family.  This week we have our oldest, Jamie, home from school and we figured the only night to go out for dinner together was tonight.  Funny how an entire week together can render only one night that everyone is available for a meal..

And so we did it.  We made our way over to the Thai Hut and filled up two tables, pushed together.  According to our oldest, there is absolutely no spicy food in the entire city of Houghton--and certainly no Panang Curry! So, the entrees were ordered: Panang and red curry, fried rice, pineapple fried rice, pad thai, etc.  and I ordered some tea.

I loved the tea that I had over in Thailand, and I think it was a green jasmine tea, but when I've gotten it in the states, it has been that bitter tea that comes in the bags.  So, I asked for whatever tea they had that was made with tea leaves.  Thai tea.  That's what they recommended: thai tea.  So, I love a good cup of strong, black tea made with tea leaves, and this is what this reminded me of.  Although, it had sort of a spicy, woody feel to it also.

So, Nathanael takes a sip of it.

"It has the taste of the smell of an antique store"

the taste of a smell, eh?

So,  Hudson tries it.

"Yes, definitely an antique store"

So, then Jamie tries it.

"It's the cedar chest from the living room.. definitely the cedar chest"

and then, Joanna tries it.

"Professor Digory"  "it is most definitely Professor Digory!"

from Narnia?

Hudson: "Wait a minute.  How can a tea taste like a character from Narnia?"

So, I tried it again.

What are these kids talking about?  It is definitely the sauna in my Grandpa Burt's home.  Or it could be the wood-burning sauna at the lake.  The smell when the sauna is just lit in the daytime, and it is just drying out the air.

Have you ever tasted Thai tea?  What does it remind you of, anyway?  the antique store? the old chest? a sauna? or a professor?

And is your family this weird? And if they aren't, what DO normal families talk about anyway???



8 comments:

Steve Rusk said...

Your kids should be food writers! Have you ever seen any of the great food movies, i.e., Tortilla Soup, The Big Night, Ratatioille, & Julie & Julia?

Becky said...

I don't know about being normal, but I'm totally with you on things tasting like something smells.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hilarious!

I'm afraid I'm a plain, old Lipton girl.

But table conversation??? Today, over breakfast, it was all about bunny poop. In detail.

Julie

Ruby said...

Yep, things can definatley taste like a smell...characters I,m not sure?

Kathi said...

Our family is totally as weird. Don't know if that's any consolation, though! We LOVE Thai food and they just opened a great new Thai restaurant right by our Meijer Thrifty Acres. It's fairly expensive, but the food is great. However, the tea we've gotten has been a mild Jasmine green tea. Next time I'll ask for Thai and see if it smells like our sauna used to smell in Marquette...or maybe a professor...or...

Organizing Mommy said...

Oh, yes.. Thai restaurants can be pricey, but they are soooooooooo good. Jamie was "dying" for Panang curry, so what could we do?

Mrs. Parunak said...

My family is by no means normal, but my kids are WAY younger than yours, so currently the weirdness is focused on stuff like nonsense words and peeking through random objects while saying, "I can see you through my peephole!" I can see it maturing into likening tea to characters, though.

Susan said...

LOVE panang curry! =)