Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In which I seduce the turkey..

There's a real live (wild) turkey that lives near us.   It usually lives down the street a few houses down, but on this particular day, it was closer than ever before.  
Like a thunderbolt, Joanna dashes out of the car to get a picture of it.  In so doing, she chases it into our neighborhood.
Here he is trying to take flight.
So, I got out all of the bird seed and made a little trail that ended up at our doorstep.
Here is the prize--a nice turkey at the end of our driveway.
It probably enjoyed the entire bag of bird seed that it found at the end of the driveway.
You can hang out here any time.
So, when I saw my friend, Regina, today, I asked her,
"Have you noticed that your turkey is missing?"

Regina: "Yeah.  I was wondering where it went."  (Regina lives a few houses down the road from us)

"I've seduced it down to our house.  I think he lives here now."

Regina: "I was wondering who put the bird seed on the road?"

"Yeah.  I'm guilty.  I wanted a pet turkey."

Regina: "You aren't going to eat it, are you?"

"I wasn't planning on it.  Were you planning to eat it?"

Regina: "No"

"Good.  I'll tell you if one of our neighbors gets it.."

And this isn't the first time that I've gotten some of Regina's animals to come to my house.  A few years back, I had put the skin from a grilled salmon out.  Sure enough, her kitties came over and enjoyed a feast.

Well, a few weeks after the salmon incident, I heard a strange meowing sound coming from the front door.  When I opened the door, I noticed a bunch of baby kitties all curled up next to my door. I had no idea what to do.  I racked my brain trying to figure out how newborn kittens would end up on my doorstep.  So, I called Regina and asked her if she was missing some kittens.  Sure enough, they were hers.  She drove the car over and tried to corral all of her kittens, which had promptly hid themselves all over our one acre yard.

So, Regina have the long history of sharing "pets".  For someone who doesn't actually own any pets, we have our share of excitement around here with squirrels, cows, birds, kittens and now.. turkeys! 

3 comments:

Kathi said...

We have a whole flock of wild turkeys that manage to get inside our fence and then have trouble flying back out when we drive our car down the road. They tend to run straight into the fence trying to get away, which makes me sad! But, I know where the derisive term, "You turkey!" comes from now!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Would you please come and lure the deer away from my yard? Pleeeeease?!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Your neighborhood sure does look pretty. I can see why the turkey likes it around there--great scenery and free birdseed.