Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rough draft, revise, tweak, revise..

No, it's not a writing course!

It's my life.  Do you guys do this?  I think I've got the perfect plan of a schedule worked out, and then I realize that something is out of balance..  Because we all know that being a woman/ mom is just another word for rubber band.

We stretch it and pull it in one area until it gets tight, and then we boomerang back to the other side, all the while exploring the perimeter of this band from all angles.  And all the while we are hoping that the sides of this thing don't start to fray and break.

In fact, have you ever had the whole thing break?  In the rubber band of life, have you ever had it just go "snap"???

For those who have had it snap and collapse once, or even more than once, are always on a campaign to not let it happen again--not to us and not to our friends.

Define snapping.  OK, I'll define snapping-- something major that happens that brings to light all of the little things that we've been hiding or not dealing with or didn't even know were there.  Something that causes a complete meltdown in the family or an individual.

And then we spend a lot of time trying to figure this out so that it doesn't happen again.

So, life is basically just that--a rough draft that we keep tweaking and revising.. revising and polishing.  and reworking.

And we get a little older and a little smarter and we look for warning signs.  And we try to listen to the Holy Spirit and figure it out before it gets out of control.  Whatever "it" is, "it" needs to remain in balance.

So, I'm trying to rework my schedule in order to meet my family's needs better.  The problem is--their needs keep changing--sometimes faster than I know how to deal with them.  But it's O.K.

It's that time of year.. when all of the homeschooling mommies are planning next year's schedule while frantically trying to get this year's schedule accomplished.  Except the energy to finish this year's schedule is already gone, and we want summer vacation--NOW, and the snow is hardly gone.

So, there are 5 weeks of Hallstrom left (with one break week for Easter), during which we'll be headlong into all that spring entails--project fairs, bowls, bees, Robotics nationals, graduation, weddings, birthdays, summer jobs starting, etc. etc. etc.  So, pray for me as I try to figure out a "survival strategy" for the spring, summer and next fall.  You know that I will enjoy every minute of it, but I also want to make good choices with my time and do what is best for each one of my kids!

So, how is your rubber band stretching these days??  

7 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Jena,

That is a GREAT way of describing it... the Rubber Band! Yah, we've snapped over here, a time or two. It's not pretty.

Funny thing about the analogy, though... if we're too slack, and there isn't any tension on the rubber band, it'll slip right off, so that's not so good either! Not that that's likely to happen in your household ;D

We have more weeks left than you, apparently, as we won't finish until two weeks into June. But I'm starting to feel it already.

Why is planning next year so much more fun than finishing this year?!

Julie

Kathryn said...

Wow. Honey, you make me tired just reading about it.

Maybe that is why God won't bless us with a child. (Said facetiously, this is not my belief system.) I'm not all that flexible.

Good luck with it all. I do think that life is about rolling with the punches and adjusting as it goes on - i'm just not good at it. I think you are. You are amazing.

Merely Me said...

Crazy times! Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I've given you an award on my blog....

www.theroadnamedme.com

The dB family said...

Ohhhh, mine is stretched! I'm praying it doesn't snap because I can feel the tension on it big time. Thank you for the great anology, Jena! Praying that the rest of your year goes great!

Blessings!
Deborah

Mrs. Parunak said...

Feeling a bit of a stretch over here, too, trying to figure out a workable schedule going into spring and the new baby's birth. And then I think about adding a garden, and it just seems ridiculous to be able to fit it all in. I think I need to do a lot of that revising you talked about!

Becky said...

Oh yes, my ruber band gets stretched on a regular basis.
And I'm with Julie. Planning next year is always so much more fun than finishing up.

Organizing Mommy said...

I'm with ALL of you!! It is waaaaaaayyy more fun to plan next year's schedule than to finish this years! Not sure why! But we are ON the home stretch!