Tuesday, May 3, 2011

20 years ago..

This year marks a few milestones for the Webber family.  And maybe that is why I've been such a non-existent blogger.

First milestone: Our oldest son, Jamie, just finished his first year of college and is home already.  As far as I can tell, he had a wonderful experience (away from home) and going to a school in a different state.  I know not every child is ready to leave the nest directly after high school (especially after being homeschooled the whole time), but our Jamie was ready times 36..  He was ready to go a year before he left home, but we kept our children on the traditional high school/ college schedule.

After weighing the strengths and weaknesses of sending a child off to college early, we just opted for the traditional time table.  I think he was capable of handling college level material at around the 8th or 9th grade, but it didn't make sense (for us) to do it that way.  We had wonderful resources through our homeschool co-op to challenge him academically, as well as socially.   So, his final G.P.A. has not hit the email inbox yet, but I am expecting he did pretty well overall.  He starts working next week at the same company Will works at--Hamilton Sundstrand.  I think we are all excited for his summer job opportunity.

Another milestone (for me) is--20 years ago, I graduated from college.  I went to Western Michigan University and got a degree in secondary English education.  Nothing special or fancy.  No earthquakes happened the day I graduated or anything too exciting, but it was nice to have it done.  I was a complete nerd in college, and my GPA reflected accordingly.  Nevertheless, graduating with honors did nothing for me in the workforce because I was more focused on my upcoming wedding than anything else.

And of course, the biggest milestone was getting married to Lieutenant William H. Webber--only five weeks after graduation.  I did some subbing at the local high school, but mainly, I just started preparing to be a wife.

Walking on a cloud is the only way to describe those days.  I could not imagine being married to a more honorable, respectable, godly, handsome, and faithful man.  By the way he handled our relationship (in honesty and purity), I knew I was in for a great life.  And everyone else knew it too!  My parents were really happy for me, and that meant a lot.

So, it's been 20 years.  I am assuming that most people at this stage of their lives are just as busy as we are with work, kids, home life, and ministry.  So, in order to celebrate the 20 years and reconnect as a couple, we are planning a Mediterranean cruise--leaving in about two weeks.  Will really enjoyed the convenience of the cruise, and we found something at a good price.

So, I have a feeling that this last minute cruise prep and these other things we have going on ( St. Louis for Robotics, last two weeks of Hallstrom, pilates teaching, kid home from college, previous trip to San Francisco, spring banquet, and various hospitality adventures and now a head cold!!) is keeping me from getting any sort of decent blogging done.

Here's for 20 years!  May another 20 be right on our heels.


5 comments:

Eos Mom said...

Happy Anniversary!!! The cruise sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate--have fun!!

MommaMindy said...

Congratulations! So happy for your many reasons to celebrate. Enjoy your special time together. Is your cruise leaving out of Seattle by any chance? :)

Organizing Mommy said...

Mindy--we leave from Rome. We will fly from O'Hare to Rome May 16th.

Becky said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Congratulations on 20 years of so many important things, but especially your wonderful marriage! I hope your cruise is wonderful.