Monday, June 20, 2011

Back in the saddle..

O.K. I am really home this time, and I plan to stay home.  I may end up going somewhere small this summer, but I really really really need to clean this place up!!  Have you ever been so overwhelmed with the house that you don't even know where to start?

That is kind of how it was this morning.  I knew I had to start somewhere--anywhere, but how can I make progress in such a large house? and so much going on?

So, when I feel that way, I try to start small--in a corner.  In my case, small is my bedroom and bathroom.  If I could just sort the dirty clothes from the clean.  If I could just put away my cosmetics/ toiletries from my suitcase.  If I could just put the shoes in the shoe pile, rather than all over the house.

So, I put in my IPOD and just blitzed the bedroom and bathroom for an hour.  Put away clean clothes.  Sort dirty clothes.  Hang up. Toss out. Wipe off. Put away.  Make bed. check, check, check.

And it ALWAYS feels overwhelming.
And it ALWAYS feels great when I do it.

And this is what keeps me from being a professional procrastinator.  I have retrained my brain to reach for the endorphins at the end of the hard-work tunnel--even before I officially arrive at the other end.

I have managed to reach the rewards at the end of hard work often enough that I can load up and charge on a sort of endorphin credit, if you will--knowing that the job WILL get done because that's the way it is going to be, and I will like every minute of it.

Which reminds me of a story.  Yes, another story.

Did I tell you this one yet?  I hope not.  But if I have, here it is again.

So, we're in Brussels, waiting to board the plane for Chicago.  And the gate keeps switching, the passengers were dragging their suitcases from here to there, and someone randomly asks what was going on or when we were going to get on or something like that.

So, I answered them.

"This is what is going to happen.  We are going to get our seats called, we're going to board the plane, we're going to get on, read the inflight magazine, get a snack, watch a movie, have a nap, have another meal, watch another movie, and eight hours later we'll be in Chicago, and we're going to like every minute of it!"

Well, this lady just laughed and laughed and asked me how many children I work with.  She was not at all surprised when she found out I had a large group of my own children and randomly parent anyone else's child who needs it at the moment.

Later on in the flight, I found my friend.  I asked her if she had completed her checklist of things to do on the plane yet.
I told her,
"I really don't like a flight that's under eight hours.  It's hard to get everything on my list done in less time.."

She just giggled every time I opened my mouth.

and I think her flight was enjoyable, if it wasn't I didn't give her permission to not "like every minute of it"!!




4 comments:

Becky said...

Yes. I often feel overwhelmed when looking at a really big house cleaning. I'm getting better at managing it, but I've never reached for those endorphins in advance. Maybe I'll give it a try.

And BTW - I have a feeling I'd giggle a lot around you too.

Kathi said...

Loved your story of the flight! Your ability to be absurd and right on at the same time is fabulous! Keep it up.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

SWEET!

Yes - when the house is overwhleming you have to be able to taste the goal :D

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

Oooh. I love that about getting to the endorphins before you're technically finished. I guess giving yourself a bunch of small jobs makes for lots more endorphins. And, as always, great story. It must be so fun to be on an airplane with you.