Tuesday, June 14, 2011

So I'm looking into the trash can and..

It's never the big events that get put on the blog, you know.  Sure, I went to Egypt and almost got "bought" by a 14 year old for about 50,000 camels, but that never gets on the blog.  Sure, I went to Vesuvius and the bus driver sings opera "Falicula" all the way down the mountain.  Sure, I met some terrorists in the airport, and do they make it? no.  I think not. (Well, I was profiling on the last comment, but still...)

What do I write about here anyway? trash.  It's all about trash today.

We had just finished the last counseling class at Moody today and I was about to throw out my cup of pop in the trash can, and I noticed something.

horns.

well, not horns.. antlers.  So, sure enough, I reach my hand in there and grab the antlers.

Now this is where what I do marks a division between what normal people do and what I do.

Would a normal person notice antlers in the trash? Would a normal person reach in and pull them out?

I'll leave you pondering those questions while I explain the next thing that happened.

Those antlers were attached to a small (16") ceramic deer.

So, as you can imagine, I have a beady-eyed 12 point buck staring at me right now.  The computer helpdesk fella just stopped in his tracks and wondered if I had brought a pet into the computer lab with me.

I have a friend who has a seizure dog with her at all times.  I feel left out, so I carry a small 12 point buck with me.  It makes me less homesick.  Not that I'm actually homesick.  But if I were homesick, a small deer would be just the thing to console me, wouldn't it?

Or the sound of a chainsaw.  I love the roar of a good chainsaw.  That also makes me homesick for the U.P.  Sights and smells of home--a waft of freshly cut birch and the vision of woodchips flying in fountain formation.  Doesn't get any better than that.

So, back to the deer.

As I was hovering over the trashcan, a man walks out of his office and notices me with it.  He told me he was cleaning out his desk and he had that deer for 25 years.  This was his last day at work.  Man, the stories that deer could tell!  I don't think I've had anything for 5 years, except my husband and kids.  O.K. my parents.  But nothing like a ceramic deer.

So, now the deer is going on a new adventure.  First things first.  I need to get this deer out of the building and bring him home to Rockford.  He'll be sitting amongst the Chinese lanterns that Joanna ordered for her birthday party this weekend.  I'll be putting post-it notes on his antlers.  I'll be drying small dish cloths on his back.  I'll be giving him a new lease of life.  And in the process, entertaining every naive person who reads this blog. 

10 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Jena

YOU CRACK ME UP! You're the organizing, decluttering QUEEN, and you pull a ceramic deer out of a trash can?!?! I can see him in your kitchen, though, with notes stuck on the tines of his antlers. (My dad had moose antlers next to the woodstove, where we dried all our gloves/mittens/socks, etc.)

Julie

Joanna said...

Are you seriously going to decorate my birthday party with it??? :-)

Jenny P. said...

Your life is never boring :) I'm constantly amused. You should bring your crazy self down here and see what adventures Springfield might hold!

Narissa said...

Wonderful to see you again! The address for the gelato place is DIVISION, not Chicago as i had previously mentioned. Caffe Gelato; 2034 W Division. You should definitely check it out while in the city!!

nitalinb said...

Definitely entertaining.

Kathryn said...

So, is this like the prairie dog who pops in all those pics?

Are you going to take him to Egypt next time and pose him in front of the pyramids?

LOL :)

Organizing Mommy said...

O.K. the deer MAY not make it to Joanna's birthday soiree this weekend, but he may be sitting in the living room for a few weeks, holding post-it notes, looking tacky. We'll see. Right now, he's still in the trunk.

Heather Matthews said...

Sorry for contacting you through your comments section but I couldn't find an email address on your blog. We found your blog and thought you would enjoy our new website www.MommyGiggles.com.

Mommy Giggles is a site where moms submit funny pictures to share with other moms to get a giggle out of. They can either be pictures of their kids or of other hilarious “mommy moments”

We are contacting you to see if you have a funny picture that we could post – we would of course give you the credit, and also post your blog (if you want). There is also a $25 Amazon Gift card drawing to everyone who submits a photo each month.

We also would appreciate if you could spread the word about our site to other moms too!

We hope you will get a “giggle” out of our site.

Warmest Regards,

Heather Matthews & Heidi Werry

Email Us A Picture - mommygiggles@comcast.net
Like Us On Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mommy-Giggles/180580521989697
Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/MommiGiggles

Mrs. Parunak said...

A fourteen-year-old wanted to buy you? Apparently, honey, you still got it. :)

And, of course, what could be more "organized" than a post-it note holder re-purposed from tacky kitsch out of the trash?

synge lucia said...

Your lifetime is actually in no way dull: )#) I am continuously entertained. You need to provide your own insane personal lower right here and find out exactly what activities Springfield may maintain!


mmo18.com
英雄联盟代练
lol boosting