Thursday, July 28, 2011

ROBE or BORe

 Are you weird like me?  What I mean is this: do you find delight in strange things that you know other people either don't like or won't admit they like?  I've tried to come up with a name for this concept.  It's kind of random--what one person likes is not what another likes.  Also, we aren't talking about the normal things that the media thinks you like or wants you to like--or better yet--just assumes that you don't like.

For example, liking going to movies is not random.  It's regular.

I once had a babysitter who used to love scrubbing pots.  She used to tell me to leave my cookie sheets out so she could scrub them for me.  That is random.  But for her, it was fun.

So, what I am calling the  random endorphin builder,  which can be kind of obsessive.  Let's try an acronym.  ROBE. or BORE  either way.. Random Obsessive Builder of Endorphins.. translates into really weird things that I like.

So, without further ado, let me elucidate.

1) Latex paint peeling.  Sure!  I had to start with the weirdest one.  O.K. You know when you want to paint a wall and you pour a certain quantity of paint into a tray?  And then you paint the wall, etc.  When you are done with the paint, I don't rinse out the tray, I just let the paint dry right in the tray.  By the morning, it has all gelled up and dried.  Now, if you just peel away a little edge of it, you can get the whole thing out in one peel.  Aaahh... so fun! If you haven't done that, it really is fun.

2) Pulling dryer lint.  Yes, I know a lot of people love to get the lint out of the dryer.  One of my friends told me it was one of her favorite activities to do when she was little.  I still love it.

3) Wiping off the table.  Now this is so fun.  When all of the dishes are picked up, I love washing off the table and making it look fresh again.

4) Pulling weeds.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Pulling weeds is a lot of fun, especially if they aren't too firmly rooted into the ground.  The only problem is that it has been so hot and humid that my attention for this is limited.

5) checking boxes.  Love it.  I'll make a big list--just so I can check it off.  I know a lot of people admit to that one.  The movement of the pen in your hand as it checks the box is quite excellent.

Oh, and I almost forgot..

6) Untangling balls of yarn.  This one I can't explain, but I love it.  If I am stressed out, I'll often take some yarn with me that needs untangling.  Some how the pulling of the yarn works out the other problem too.  I can not even fathom why or how this works, but it does.

Well, I'm sure by now, most of you have my psychiatrist on speed dial and are needing to make a random report.  I respect that.

But the reality of it is this: very few people who love simple things are unhappy about life when large things happen.  Just a thought. 

8 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm trying to think of ROBE's of my own, but I don't think any of mine are that random. I dunno. Coke slushies. I really, really, really like them. I'd rather have a Coke slushie than a fancy restaurant dinner. I guess that's kinda random.

sara said...

You would be so entertained at my house. :)

Becky said...

Huummmm. That's something to think about. I'm sure I have some, but you know how the things you do seem perfectly reasonable to you? Yeah - I'll have to give it some thought.

The dB family said...

Would filling out surveys be one of them? I LOVE filling out surveys!

Organizing Mommy said...

Deborah: YES! Filling out surveys is exactly what I'm talking about.

Organizing Mommy said...

Sara: like!

Carissa said...

Oh good, I'm not the only one who likes those little random things! :D I love pulling the dried paint away from the paint tray... pulling weeds is awesome... and yes, I like doing the dryer lint, too. I especially like it when it has some kind of cool coloring--like green, or purple and blue mixed together.

I also like washing cupboard doors off. And peeling carrots. Especially peeling carrots.

Anyways, I've been lurking your blog for a few months now, and thought I ought to comment and say hello. :) So... hello!

God bless,
Carissa

Herding Grasshoppers said...

YES! I would love the latex paint thing. The same way I enjoy peeling price tags and stickers off things VERY SLOWLY so they all come off in one piece.

I would add...

* Moving the furniture in my living room. Change! And it's FREE!

* Organizing just about anything.

* Related: folding fabric so it all looks even on the shelves.

* Using up the very end of something. The last toothpaste in the tube.

* Washing dishes by hand.

and definitely

* making lists, so I can check things off.

Julie