Saturday, August 13, 2011

The death of an idol--the birth of a floor

So, what does a middle-aged mommy make into an idol?

Oh, where to start?  There are so many...  but let's just start with our homes, shall we?

For some odd reason, those of us who have gone the homemaking route, some how feel entitled to an awesome home.  After all, I'm serving God here, so it should be awesome, right?  In order to serve God the way he has called me  (wife, mother, homeschooler, hospitality queen, etc.) I have to do it from the home.  And since I've laid down my worldly ambitions (in theory, at least), God should honor me by making my dwelling not only large, functional, equipped but beautiful as well, right?

Right.

Except that here's the kicker.  The main purpose of serving God is not just doing the task in front of us--such as changing a diaper, pulling weeds or serving some beans--it's to make us more like Christ.  And making us like Christ is sort of a custom-tailored job--not a one-size-fits-all job.

There are many of us out there who feel like our main "ministry" is from the home and many of us do this is a similar way.  There are as many varieties of this type of ministry as there are people who do it.  And as soon as we take our custom-tailored-by-God-method and try to export it (in any fashion) to the next person, it becomes a stumbling block of legalism and rules.  Instead of thanking God for the privilege of having such a high calling, we find ourselves in an unthankful comparison state that leaves us feeling defeated and un-provided for.

And what seems to come to easily to someone else is such a hurdle for us!  And what God has provided so easily for us, it a major stumbling block for someone else! And so on.  That is one reason why I cringe at how-to manuals for homemaking, homeschooling and Christian living in general.  Granted, they give a lot of great ideas in the general sense, but when they are written with the spirit of "do it my way because I am awesome" that is when I have a little shiver that goes across my neck.  And then my hair (that is already standing up on end) just stays there in a permanent point for a long time..

And that is not to say that some of us don't look at the awesome mommy blogs and have the same reaction, but if you are getting that from this blog, I'm going to have to scrap all 9 million posts and start over.  Just so you won't have to do that, may I present to you--my idol.  (O.K. one of my idols)

The floor.

The beautiful floor.

The beautiful hardwood floor.

that isn't stinky carpeting.

that is going to actually look nice when I clean it instead of looking crappy like this stinky carpeting.

yeah.

10 years of trying to whine, convince, manipulate, beg, etc. my husband into getting me a new floor.

Finally, last summer, I was completely out of steam on this issue.  ONCE again.. we had a little cash that was spent on something else.. again.

And I finally resolved myself this: THIS is exactly the floor that God wants me to have and I need to be thankful for it--right now.  I decided that this was indeed an idol AND that it was time to sacrifice it-once and for all.

A tremendous peace followed that conversation with God.  I can't say that I've never tried to pick it up again, but I was able to lay it back down quickly.


A year later--guess who is getting her floor put in-- today?

Yeah.  you guessed it.

God is so good.  It's not worth holding on to those idols, ladies.  Let 'em down so he can lay it down.

7 comments:

Becky said...

That kind of goes along with a bloom where your planted mindset. I haven't always like the houses we lived in (and sometimes REALLY disliked them), but once I surrendered the idea/idol of the kind of house I wanted, and started thanking God I had a house at all, I was more peaceful. Now we have a wonderful home, and I need to remember to remain thankful for it.

Mrs. Santos said...

"And as soon as we take our custom-tailored-by-God-method and try to export it (in any fashion) to the next person, it becomes a stumbling block of legalism and rules."

I love the way you put this. Thank you for this reminder

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh my goodness... YES!

And NO! I have never gotten that feeling from you (the "Be=like-oh-so-put-together-me vibe). Helpful tips? Definitely. Some things you do very differently than me? Definitely, too ;D

And hurray for the death of the idol!

Well said,

Julie

Jerry Ross said...

god has nothing to do with your floor.

Organizing Mommy said...

Jerry Ross: Thanks for chiming in. In your opinion, what does God have to do with?

Mrs. Parunak said...

What a great post! I love your point about how it's really not about what we do, it's about becoming Christlike and how this is tailor made for each of us.

And I'm so happy for you that you got your floor.

Janine Green said...

Good things come to those who wait. Hope your home flooring turns out to be great!