Saturday, September 17, 2011

celebrating every new thing..

So, my six year old Emily was on the phone with her grandma..

"Grandma, you know what I like?"

"What is that, Emily?"

"lowercase g's!  Don't you just love lowercase g's, grandma?  I mean.. they are so cool.  They have this circle and the little tail that comes down below the line.."

"Yes, Emily.  I have always loved lowercase g's.  Are you studying them right now?"

"No.  I was just thinking about them.."
----------------------------------------------

And all the verbal-linguistics just giggled with glee, didn't you?  Yes, I do believe we have a linguist on our hands.

I have this sort of weird dejavu happening right now.

When Jamie was a little tyke, he was just sitting in the hammock at our home in Panama.  And he said,
"You know, I was just thinking.  Five and five together makes ten."

"That's right, Jamie.  How did you figure that out?"

"I was just sitting here thinking about it, and I figured it out.."

And a mere 16 years later, he is studying math and science  in college.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I had specific learning awakening moments for each one of my children, but I don't.  I can say this though.  The bud shows itself long before the bloom appears.  And each bloom is different and beautiful.  This year, the bud is really starting to take form in our Emily.  I have never seen anyone quite so eager for learning.  And.. I am so pleased with her new school and teacher that I am bursting at the seams with excitement.

Not every child or every season is the same in this life.  But I am so thankful for the Lord's provision for right now.  She does a full day of learning, and she still has plenty of energy for "homework" with mommy and daddy when she gets home. At her insistence, she reads out loud to us and writes on the board from the moment she gets home from school until it is time to go to bed.  (And that is after a full school day!) So, we still trying to catch our breath here, but my mother tells me crazy stories about myself when I was that age.

Apparently, I had this great big chalkboard and played "teacher" and "school" all the time when I was home from school.  I ran around the house, pushing a shopping cart, wearing every hat I owned on my head at the same time and would frequently be awake to watch Johnny Carson at night with my Dad and grandma.  I called myself "Theresa Jane" and gave pretend names to everyone in my "school".

Life goes full circle, you know.  And now that I am middled aged.. now you give me my clone, eh Lord?  I raised four "little Willys" and now I get the first "little me"..  No wonder I'm on the phone with my mother every day! !!!!!


1 comment:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Woo Hoo! A little linguist. It's a great thing to be. And it's always so fun when those buds start appearing.