Tuesday, November 8, 2011

And then my wings need help too!

No one ministers to others without eventually getting ministered to! Yes, even those of us who are die-hards, are in regular need of wing maintenance.  But how does this happen?  I wish I could say that I am so teachable that God just whispers a breath to me and I instantly obey..

But more frequently, the Lord has other ways of dealing with me...

Like the realization that I have some form of envy or greed or desire that is going unmet.  And the only reason it is going unmet is just that--it is a form of greed, envy or desire (lust?)..

God doesn't want us to have those sorts of needs met because they just add to themselves more of the same.  Greed gives birth to more greed.  Envy just makes me hate others..  Ungodly desires just seem to find more ungodly desires..  But it is this strange longing for something that is absolutely forbidden that wakes me up to the unhappiness of it all.  Take it to its final conclusion--more and more unhappiness.

More and more of that sort of thing is just the opposite of joy.

Joy is a calm realization (however briefly) that all that we need and want is all that we have.  Joy is the absence of these longings that are ungodly and an appreciation for all that is readily available in Christ.

And God uses various methods to alert me to the ever-widening gap between where I am now and where I could be.  He uses the Word of God--just in my private readings.  He uses the preaching/ teaching of the Word.  He uses the example of others who living victoriously.  He uses the testimony of the persecuted church.  And he uses nature--in all of its beauty and perfection.

May you find some form of true joy today!

3 comments:

nitalinb said...

Thank you.

Mrs. Santos said...

Praise the Lord! He is always working in our lives. What a friend we have in Jesus.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Amen!