Friday, November 18, 2011

Do not turn right in front of this truck

Ambiguity.

If I am reading it, and it does not make sense to me, is it my fault or the author's fault?

Communication has to be two ways, doesn't it?

So, I've never understood this sign that you see on the back of large trucks.  It says this:

Do not turn right in front of this truck

And then I do what I always do, I try to figure out what that could possibly mean.

Option 1:  If I am driving along and I happen to pass this truck and end up in front of it, then I am not to make any turns.  I'm not sure why I can't make turns, but I just can't.  The truck will explode if I turn to the right or the left while I am in front of THIS truck.

Option 2: If I am driving along and I happen to be in front of the truck, I should not make an immediate turn in front of the truck.  Maybe I should get into the other lane and then turn?  Or let a few cars get between me and the truck so I'm not "right in front"..??

Option 3: Or perhaps it's only the right turns that are prohibited.  Left turns are O.K.

Option 4: I can turn right or left, front or back, as long as it has nothing to do with THIS truck.  Which is generally the way I interpret this passage.  I just stay away from trucks that have ambiguous signage on the back.

Option 5: Look at the sign that is next to the ambiguous message.  The sign shows a car passing the truck and immediately cutting off the truck (which happens to be on the right).  So, we are not supposed to pass trucks and then get in front of them?  That would make it impossible to not turn right in front of them either?

So, you see my dilemma.  And the OCD side of me CAN NOT be behind trucks that have cryptic messages on them.  I never hit that equilibrium of knowing what to do or how to do it.  So, in desperation, I pass the truck (on the left side) and immediately get in front of them.  Suddenly, all is at peace with the world.  I think if they had not had that ridiculous sign on the back, I would have never thought to pass them.


8 comments:

Organizing Mommy said...

You don't know how "blonde" I feel for posting this!!LOL>

Kathi said...

I'll bet you had the same problem I had when taking tests. I could think of ways in which ALL the answers were not perfectly correct, and then it was a matter of which answer was closest to right, but that bothered me too. Did this ever happen to you?? So, brunettes can have lots of thought problems too!

Ruby said...

Ha....and to really complicate it we drive on the left hand side. Can you image the fun you would have over here?
Our truck signs read "Do not overtake turning vehicle" which to me means it might swing out as it turns?
Blonde: don't you hate when some one is giving directions and tells you to go left right here!
Have a great weekend.

Organizing Mommy said...

Kathi--yes I had a horrible time taking tests. There was never a definite RIGHT answer for me. Now, if they had asked me how I felt about something, I could (and still do) answer straight on. It boggles me how some people's minds are so straightforward. Nevertheless, I find it far more entertaining to be in my brain, since there's never a dull moment up there.

Organizing Mommy said...

Ruby--now THAT makes sense to me! I could follow that direction. Perhaps Americans are too stupid to know what "overtake" means. ??

Mrs. Santos said...

This was a delight to read. Made me chuckle.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Hmm. I don't think I've EVER noticed a sign like that on a truck. I'm going to be on the lookout now.

nitalinb said...

Do you understand how absolutely horrified I was when at six years old, being newly able to read, I discovered my aunt nonchalantly passing a No Passing sign?