Saturday, November 19, 2011

Educational Insights from C.S. Lewis

"Even in mathematics, whatever could be done by mere reasoning (as in simple geometry)  I did with delight; but the moment calculation came in I was helpless.  I grasped the principles but my answers were always wrong." Surprised by Joy, p. 76

"Walking and talking and talking are two very great pleasures , but it is a mistake to combine them.  Our own noise blots out the sounds and silences of the outdoor world....."p. 79 ibid

" The only friend to walk with is one who so exactly shares your taste for each mood of the countryside that a glance, a halt, or at most a nudge, is enough to assure us that the pleasure is shared.  The return from the walk, and the arrival of tea, should be exactly coincident, and not later than a quarter past four..." ibid


(Under the tutor, Kirk).. "For the first week or so, he gave me directions about my English reading, but when he discovered that, left to myself, I was not likely to waste my time, he gave me absolute freedom.  Later in my career we branched out into German and Italian.." p. 80 ibid

(freetime)  "Meanwhile on afternoons and Sundays, Surrey lay open to me.  County Down in the holidays and Surrey in the term--it was an excellent contrast.  Perhaps, since their beauties were such that even a fool could not force them into competition, this cured me once and for all of the pernicious tendency to compare and to prefer--an operation that does little good even when we are dealing with the works of art and endless harm when we are dealing with nature.  Total surrender is the first step toward the fruition of either..Shut your mouth; open your eyes and ears.  Take in what is there and give no thought to what might have been there or what is somewhere else.  That can come later, if it must come at all..." p. 81 ibid
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I am not sure that these thoughts will be as special to anyone else other than me.  I am really enjoying the writings of C.S. Lewis.  thought-provoking!!  

2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I LOVE C.S. Lewis. It's really fun to hear about his education.

Kathi said...

I especially like his thoughts on afternoon strolls through the countryside concluding with tea!