Thursday, November 17, 2011

funniest comment from yesterday..

So, I have this really fun job that I do.  Teaching? no.  pilates? no. (although those are fun jobs also..)   This is my "professional organizing" job.  It started as just wire management, but it has expanded to "moving prep".  Now I love organizing wires, but moving prep is my favorite.

So, what is moving prep?  So, picture this.  There's this really BIG company with several departments that all occupy a huge building.  Every so often, there are new bosses or management or whatever, and entire departments need to move.  But lo and behold.. sometimes, the previous department or desk owner has left a bunch of stuff behind.  So, the new people need to move in, but they can't because all of this junk is there.

Why did they leave all of this stuff behind?  I'm not really sure.  I think in big companies like this one, everyone is afraid to actually throw things away for fear that "someone might need it".  Someone never comes along because that someone has tons of junk that they are bringing with them.  So, there may be several years that go by and things just get shuffled around.

So, that's when I come in.  And I am not sure that all of my decisions are stellar, but so far, my boss hasn't complained.  If it looks important, I send it ahead to the person who left it behind.  If it can be used by employees in the company, I donate it back to them in a central supply area.  Then the other items are: donated, recycled or trashed, depending on their usefulness.

So, as you can imagine, there's a lot of stuff that hits the recycling bins.  So, yesterday, I'm hauling huge amounts of paper into the recycling bins.  And everything I do is with great speed and gusto.  I even work up a sweat doing this job (I love it!)--I count it as a workout.  Anyway, so this random guy walks by and sees this blitzing overly-enthusiastic mama getting rid of huge amounts of paper and casually says,

"So, it's that time of the month,  eh?"

Yeah.  Except I'm so lucky.  I have learned to be efficient even when its not that time of the month.

And I laughed so hard.  We have all of these geeky, introverted left-brained guys walking around and they can not imagine anyone loving this kind of work, except under some sort of hormonal compulsion.

Are you kidding?????  This is therapy, dude.  I love getting rid of things.  It's therapeutic.  Calming.  cathartic.  aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh......  and they pay me!  seriously!  So, what's not to love?




7 comments:

sara said...

I'm not sure that person wouldn't have gotten a punch in the nose if he'd said that to me.

Organizing Mommy said...

Sara--afterwards I thought it to be rude, but at the time--it was just funny. I'm too easy on these guys, I guess!

Becky said...

Yeah - you just gotta look past those fellas who think it has to be that time of the month if you are irritated, express an opinion, feel the need to clean, or just want everyone to leave you alone. Why they think you can never feel/do those things at other times is way beyond me.

DanGilbert66 said...

Hello, I have a quick question for you about your site. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day!

Thanks,
Dan Gilbert
Marketing Support Coordinator
Primrose Schools

Organizing Mommy said...

Dan Gilbert: Could you please put your email in the comments or a link to your site? I have no way to get a hold of you. organizingmommy(at)sbcglobal(dot) net
Don't spam me, please. thanks.

Kathi said...

Can't think of anything not to love. I love it!

Mrs. Parunak said...

What an awesome job. You're perfect for it! Including dealing with ridiculous comments. I think I would have been dumbstruck.