Friday, November 11, 2011

Pink sky

This morning I have the delightful view of pinkish-indigo sky.  The trees are almost completely bare, as they form a delightful skeleton against the glorious backdrop.  The evergreens are almost a blueish hue, and plowed fields are finding an amber horizon line.

Quiet. serene. comforting.  An occasional snow flake falls.

Yesterday a friend was telling me about her comforting morning routine.  She told me that she loves routine, and it gives her a sense of peace and comfort.  It helps her get settled for her day.

Even though I do something different everyday during the work hours, I do enjoy this morning time of sitting here with my coffee, my Bible, my notebook, and sometimes (if I have time) the computer while looking out the window and enjoying whatever is going on outside.

I want to get to the point where I have some emotional peace with God about all that is going on or all that went on yesterday.  I don't want to carry yesterday's burdens with me into today.  Each day has enough trials of its own.  It's not that I refuse to acknowledge unfinished business; it's that I have purposefully handing over the emotional baggage that each item carries.  There's only so much that one person can do in this life.  When I have done what I can do, then I need to give it to God.

That generally determines a good day from a bad day in my life.  Can I lay it down??? even though I feel so (awful, upset, angry, guilty, burdened)??  Can I find a new strength to move forward? This isn't easy--and I'm the one who is given to wallowing in my guilt and blaming myself for all that is going on in the world...  (as if I have that much power?)

But pink skies are here.. again.  And so is our burden-carrier.  Let's enjoy this routine. 

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Love this! I don't think I could make it happily through the day without my morning time in the Word and prayer! A friend once said he thought no day could ever be a total waste after he had spent the first minutes worshiping God! Amen.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Amen! I sure do love devotions first thing in the morning when they can happen. Mine are usually in the afternoon right now, but I'll take what I can get.