Monday, January 2, 2012

Getting organized for the new year!!

I love love love the new year.  I see it as a fresh start to get organized.  The holidays are over, and the weather is starting to get colder.  I don't feel like I'm missing anything by cleaning, sorting and organizing.

I hope you feel the same way.  If not, skip this post.  Go read a book or make a mess somewhere..

For the REST of us, let's review the basics.. again.

1. Getting organized is a process not an event.

2. I have this fantasy that the place will eventually STAY organized.

3. It is this and other ephemeral visions that keep me pushing toward the goal.

4. I hate this just as much as you do.

What?  Haven't I just told you that I LOVE this?  O.K. O.K.... I have a love/ hate relationship with organizing.  And I am sure you do too.

Here's what I hate:  I hate making decisions about stuff.  If I feel emotionally wrapped up in the item, I have a hard time getting rid of it.  And then I sit there and agonize about it.  And it is very draining.

Here's what I love: the final product of getting and being organized!  I love the way it looks when I'm done.  I love the way I feel when it looks that way.  I like the idea of not wasting time by looking for stuff.  I like feeling responsible about my stuff.


So, since there is so much emotional energy wrapped up in the process, I start myself with a goal of: an hour a day until it is done.  If I have a lot of energy, I may do more than one hour.  With a big house like ours, this takes a while.  Generally, the upstairs gets periodic organizing updates throughout the year.  But the basement areas will only get hit once a year.  And they look pretty bad.

And this year lent itself to a complete disaster when we moved almost everything from the upstairs down to the new basement for the new flooring.  And it is amazing how much you don't miss when you don't have it in front of you.  And if someone lit a match in my dungeon, I'm really not sure what I would miss.  Maybe I should just get rid of everything?  Hey.  I'm might be on to something..

So, how are you guys doing?  Do you organize in the new year? Is your car filled with donation items?
Yeah.  mine too.

I said it last year, and this year I really mean it.

Here's to a less prosperous New Year!


6 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Awesome! Yes, a less prosperous New Year sounds kinda good.

MommaMindy said...

I continuously have a box in the garage for stuff we are getting rid of. When something comes into the house, something has to go out.

Get a new purse. Get rid of one. Get a new toy. Get rid of one.

Just from putting away stuff after Christmas, we have several boxes and bags to go to the thrift store. You're so right, it's a continual process you have to practice.

Bernadette Veenstra said...

I am also getting rid of stuff. And I agree that the upstairs seems to stay more organized than the basement-the laundry room, in my case. I have a very big urge to just get rid of everything. I have to be careful not to get rid of too much. Balance, you know.=) I spent 2 hours in the laundry room yesterday. It is going to receive another look today or tomorrow. It is truly inspiring and freeing to dejunk. Happy organizing!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I think you're actually inside my head, somehow!

I have a large laundry basket ready to be loaded in the van and divided between the consignment store and Goodwill. It's a start...

Julie

The dB family said...

I went on a huge organizing binge in November. I am amazed at how quickly things become unorganized again. I tackled our closet today. It was good to see lots of empty shelves again.

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who has a fantasy that the place will eventually stay organized.

Blessings!
Deborah

amalison said...

haha! I can empathise! I envision myself as being an organised person some day.
And by the way, I love your writing style! Very fun and humorous!