Tuesday, January 3, 2012

So we're having a contest..

So we're having a contest.  Oh, well.. not a real contest.  It's a pretend contest with ourselves.

The rules are simple: get rid of stuff.

The rewards are obvious: have less stuff.

 The prizes are: a clean space, a happy home, an efficient lifestyle.  

I, personally, would like to know how little I can live on.  I would like to get rid of as much as I can--without throwing it in the trash.

Did you organize for one hour today?  I did.  I organized from 7-8 p.m. And I am about to corral the minions to haul the junk to their appropriate launching stations.

Launch #1:  To the school!  Yes!  I am so glad I work at a school now.  (rubbing hands together with a scheming look on my face..)


And I'm fast collecting more things for the school.  They actually seem to like everything that I am donating, so it is a win/win as far as I'm concerned.  

So far, the school is a great receptical for all of my art supplies, including basket weaving, pottery, fabric paints and glass painting.  Oooooooohhh are they going to have fun or what??

And the school has been a great benefactor of my huge and unwieldy collection of kindergarten manipulatives.   (O.K. I did not part with the cuisenaire rods..)  

Launch #2: freecycle!  Yes, there are fabulous people who are willing to come right to my door and collect my stuff.  They love it, and I love it.  Oh, the cool things they are getting!  And if I had used any of these awesome things in the last 10 years, I'd probably feel like I'm missing something, because they are genuinely cool things.  

Of course.  You know.  I ONLY have cool things. LOL.  yeah.

So, you must have something cool that you no longer want or need.  Bless someone else with your cool stuff.  Nobody is going to die if you get rid of something.

In all of my years of getting rid of things, I can only think of one thing that I actually have missed.

Can you guess what it is?  A very cool pair of dark grey yoga pants.  That's it.  A pair of yoga pants that I got from the Goodwill.   Why did I get rid of them?  I thought I looked fat in them, I guess.  Well, I should have just lost weight and kept my favorite pants.  Dumb.  

But that's it.  I can hardly call it a loss, since I have several other yoga pants that are just fine.  And probably next week at the Goodwill, I'll see another pair that I like better.  

So, are you in?  Tell me in the comments what you are currently getting rid of..



2 comments:

The dB family said...

I'm in! There's a box with Christmas stuff ready to go out the door and some bags of stuff downstairs that need to make it up and out. If I wasn't feeling so dragged out with this cold, I'd be dashing down there right now to get rid of them.

Happy purging!!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I got an idea from Deborah! I'm keeping a list of all the things I get rid of this year. Maybe not too detailed.

So far, a large laundry basket of clothes and house "stuff" that I split between the consignment store (whatever they would take) and Goodwill.

Hallelujah!