Thursday, February 9, 2012

Another day of unanticipated grief

Small town news travels fast--especially with the help of the internet.  A  classmate of mine from high school received news that no mother ever wants or needs to hear-- her own daughter had taken her life.

Seventeen years old. High school student. very pretty.  looked just like one of my daughter's friends..

Gone.

By her own hand. with a gun.

And this is where we all sit still and wonder...

What could have been done?  Teen suicide is always too close to home.  Pray for Mindy (my friend from high school who was the mom of this gal) that she would find peace and God.

And then last evening, as we were enjoying a happy time in our home around our fireplace, an email came through on my husband's blackberry.

His friend and co-worker, Gary, sent a painful email telling us that his wife had just passed into eternity at 9:37 that night.  She had been suffering with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), and her heroic battle was over.

37 years of marriage.

his best friend and sweetheart.

Gone.

Two souls gone.  Much grieving going on.

Thank you for remembering Mindy and Gary today.



7 comments:

MommaMindy said...

I am so sorry to hear about these very grievous situations.

I've been thinking lately about this Biblical description of the Lord Jesus. "He was a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief."

Since you are acquainted with the One who is acquainted with grief, may He build you up and give you the strength and grace to minister to these hurting friends. Praying for all. I love you, sister!

Kathi said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I just stopped to pray for Mindy and Gary's family...and yours as well. Life passes so quickly. Alan and I will celebrate 39 years next week. That's pretty close to 37 but even more. What terrible losses. :(

Trica (Tree' - ka) said...

I'm so sorry! I paused and prayed for both families.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I am so very sorry to hear about both of these sad, sad losses. I just stopped and prayed for both families.

Braley Mama said...

Praying for Gary and Mindy, may He bring them comfort and peace. Sorry sister!

Ruby said...

A little late but am praying as well. The grief for those families will be raw for some long time. I concur with MommaMindy. May they know the love and comfort which comes from on high.

The dB family said...

We've had much sorrow in our town lately too. It moments like this where I am again reminded how fragile our lives our. May God surround each one of those who are grieving with His comfort and strength. That is my prayer.

Blessings!
Deborah