Friday, March 9, 2012

imperfect.. that's why

So, the sun is out, in more ways than one.

My close family member who was suffering through a trial is seeing light at the end of the tunnel.  His progress toward wellness has been steady, and we are encouraged.  I wish I could say more, but this is the blogging world.

Speaking of blogging world, there is more than one reason why I took a break from blogging.

For those of you who are writers and who desire to minister to those of like mind, you must all run into this occasionally.  Let's face it.  These are the facts.  We are bloggers.  We have blogging friends and readers who have never really met us or have only met us once in a while.  And then we have friends and acquaintances in the real world too.  Out of our real life friends, we have those who read our blog and those who don't.

Out of those who read our blogs, we have those who love it and support it, and then we have those who read in sort of a lurking, critical sort of way.

Right?  Tell me this is not the truth.  You can't.  It is.  And if we are really perceptive, we can almost tell who is reading based on what they say or (try to act like) they don't know.

Add all of these factors in, and it can make for a very awkward existence in the real world.  And the real world is where we need to live, despite how fun the online world may be...

Hence the confusion.  I actually had one lady who assumed that the reason I wrote an organizing blog is because I considered myself to be so organized.  And why would I call myself the "organized mom" anyway?  (Because she is one of these people who actually sees me coming and going in life, and in her estimation, there is no slice of my life that is actually organized...)

And I took a mental "WHoA!!" and wondered what it must be like surviving in her mind.  How can she love someone that is such a hypocrite (at least in her mind??) and not want to confront me of the error of my ways?

Thankfully, SOMEONE chimed in and said, "organizING' mommy..  she is always in the process of GETTING organized.."  and I was relieved of the awkward burden of trying to defend myself.  Because.. really.. there is no defense.

I struggle!!!  I like chaos.  I like emergencies.  But I also can't think when there is too much visual clutter going on.  I AM organized in SOME things.  But in OTHER things, I am struggling!!

My friends who are LEFT BRAINED or German or ENGINEERS or methodical.. or WHATEVER the world considers organized THINK that I am crazy.

So, I am NOT helping THEM.  I am just helping my other CRAZY FRIENDS.

Here is something to think about.

When we come by something very easily, we do not make the best teachers and coaches on that topic.  Homeschooling, for example.

I have homeschooled for a long time, and I'm still doing it.  But why don't I ever write about it?  I have nothing to say.  It's always been easy for me.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I loved schooling, and that is the truth.  The minute it got even sort of hard, I just started outsourcing.  So, in some cases, I am "managing" their education rather than actually teaching.  But for those of you who are struggling EVERY DAY with schooling, you didn't want to read that, did you?

And there's no amount of tips and techniques that I can give that are going to help you.  Because it is a strength.. not a weakness.  (And there are so many good homeschooling blogs out there!)

But it's my weaknesses that I love writing about.   Oh, the weaknesses!  Now, there are two things that I do that are very hard: one is pilates and the other is getting and staying organized.

Pilates is awfully hard for me.  And that could be why I have stuck with it.  My body benefits from it, but I have struggled just as much mentally as physically to get every move.  And teaching it is an entire new challenge.  I would like to think that my struggling through everything has actually enabled me to be an effective teacher.

The other major struggle is organizing. But despite the fact that I am imperfect in this area, it is something that has kept my interest for the past 16 years!!  I started my major study in organizing when Hudson was just a little critter, and now he's almost 16.  And despite the fact that I have wanted to call this blog, "the hedgehog speaks"I think I will continue to stick with the current motif.

Because we all know the hedgehog does and will speak!  But will she organize?  Will she blitz?  Will she continue to fight the war on clutter in her dungeon?  These are important things.

And I think if we all wrote about our weaknesses, rather than our strengths, we'd all see that we are surrounded by loving but imperfect humans.  So, that's why I am back.  I'm imperfect, and that's why.


12 comments:

Momofnine said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. It's always encouraging to read your thoughts.

Bernadette said...

I know what you mean. I had only been blogging for a few weeks when someone sent me the worst email ever about how my blog was attacking her blog. I was shocked and hurt. It wasn't even sort of true. We just were blogging about things from our unique perspectives because we are two different people. I've found "friends" read my blog, who hardly talk to me in real life. I think we are making ourselves vulnerable to some extent, but this also isn't the sum total of who we are. I truly enjoy your blog. It is very encouraging to me. You have a great humorous perspective.

Bernadette Veenstra said...

Oh, and I've gotten guff for my name too. I explained the barefoot hippie thing, and someone said I'm not a hippie. I didn't defend myself. I am more into the barefoot aspect. But some people do see me as rather hippie-ish. But, it's just a name. Who cares? It is my blog, and I can call it whatever I want. And, sometimes blog naming is left to whatever hasn't been claimed yet.=)

sara said...

:)

MommaMindy said...

I love you. That's all I have to say. Organized, unorganized, in shape, outta' shape, dinner cooked, dinner purchased, projects completed, projects only started, good days, bad days....

I just always love you and appreciate you.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm so glad you're back! And I'm especially glad to hear that your family member is doing better!

Yes, I've been crippled many times trying to figure out how to exist in my online world and the real one and how to juggle my online friends and my real world friends and how to do the best job in loving all of them. I don't think I've always gotten it right. But I really like what you said about imperfection. We need to be honest and open and stop acting like we're perfect (as hard as that can be, especially online).

Ruby said...

I'm happy to know your "situation" has improved and very glad to see you back at the key board. So much of this post rings true for me.
I have only two friends with whom I have shared that I have a blog and one follows. She is a real blessing and encouragement.
But I know at least a couple of my friends know about my blog but try not to reveal where they picked up on something. Quite funny really. Australia is a comparatively small country, take out the Christians and homeschoolers and you are just bound to knock into people you know. I use an alias but because it is all true to life, I am easily identifiable.
Sooo.......... keep getting organised and entertaining your bloggy friends who seem to be able to get it.

singtothelord2 said...

I think we all need to remember that we are works in progress. We are never going to attain perfection here on earth. Praise the Lord for that, or we would all be very hard to live with. :-) Keep up the good work. I think you inspire us all to do better. Thank you for being you!

CC said...

So glad the sun is shining...so glad for your honesty...so glad you are your sweet, organizing self...and very real. I'm praising the LORD for His goodness.

Organizing Mommy said...

Thanks crew! Can I say that I love all of your imperfect selves also??!! yee-haw

Term Papers said...

Good Blog and really I got good Information with the help of this blog.

Post by
https://twitter.com/term_paperz

Buy Cheap RS Gold said...

Sure it was an excellent weekend break!, Now i'm content for you personally!, your own ensemble can be georgeous!