Sunday, March 11, 2012

Organizing thought for the week: set limits

In our buy-a-lotta-stuff society, it is contrary to set limits on how much we collect merely for the principle of having less.

So, this week, I am inspired by this article: Limit the File Storage by Small Notebook.

Her blog is great, writing style awesome, and self control.. well... stellar!!

Here's what she did.  She has decided that all files worth saving will fit into ONE file box.  ONE.

Pass the smelling salts...  O.K.  I'm up now.  How about you?

For those of us wrestling through years of papers, photos, school projects and art work, this may be a high goal to start out with.

But what if we each set a limit on something?

Like...  I'll only have as many clothes as can fit in "this" space?

or I'll only have as many cookbooks as I can fit on "this" shelf?

or the amount of toys my kids can have need to fit "right here"?

Or whatever your weakness is..  collecting tupperwear? stocking up on art supplies?  too many books?  too many winter hats?  balls of yarn?  what?

Just a thought.  

4 comments:

sara said...

This is a great idea, except you can't have too many books. ;)

Mrs. Parunak said...

I think that is exactly what I need to do with my house. I should go through every category and make it fit in the space allotted. Thanks for the idea!

singtothelord2 said...

I'm liking it...don't know if I can achieve it, but I like the idea...
I agree with giving everything an allotted space, but I can't get over that feeling of "Oh, what if I want that later?" All you need to do is watch an episode of "horders" and that will cure anybody of collecting too much stuff. It makes my kids want to clean stuff out every time. lol

Bernadette Veenstra said...

I love that idea. I kind of do it already. I have limited my kids clothes to what can fit in their dresser drawers. I know that sounds "duh", but we are given so much. Any more than that they never wear anyhow. I do the same thing with my clothes. Which tends to get me in trouble, when I get rid of too much. I've been reining it in a bit as I am between sizes with pregnancy, then nursing. Great idea for all around. Next week is my projecting week with the hubby gone. He never knows what he is going to come home to.=) Besides a wife's love.=)