Friday, April 6, 2012

Saffron Bread

My Grandma Mary used to make Saffron bread.  I was just thinking of her and my Grandpa Al, who are both still alive and living near my parents.  My Grandma is thought of whenever I think of saffron bread.  

I made this for you, my sweet Grandma Mary.. 






My Recipe:

Dissolve one vial of saffron in 1 cup of water, let it sit for about 20 minutes to dissolve.

In a sauce pan over the stove, Add: 3 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of cream to the pot, heat to a scalding (not simmering or boiling)

In the big mixer: Add six cups of white flour, 3 T of dry yeast,  3/4 cup of white sugar.  Stir this up and have the mixer moving on low.

With the milk and cream, add the saffron mixture and add these to the flour mixture in the mixer bowl. 


Knead the mixture for 6 minutes until it is all mixed in.  Add 1 T. salt and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

At the end, add 1- 1 1/2 cups of raisins.  Mix those in and roll the dough out on a floured board.

Shape into little rolls. (I put mine in a circular pizza pan)  Let them rise.  Bake for 20-23 minutes at 350* degrees.


6 comments:

The dB family said...

It's beautiful! Does the saffron give it a bit of a different flavour, or is it just to give it that rich golden colour? Regardless, I'm sure your grandma would be very proud!

Blessings!
Deborah

Organizing Mommy said...

The saffron has a distinct flavor, but it isn't super strong. If you want it stronger, I would use more than one vial/ packet for the recipe.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oooo, that sounds wonderful :D

Very Swedish ;D Reminds me of MY grandma!

Julie

Kathi said...

I'm thinking saffron is also extremely expensive; is that true in packet form? Your bread looks amazing...and like a wonderful Eastery tradition type thing, although doubtless yummy anytime. It reminds me of "hot cross buns" a little.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Haha! I see that my aunt and I had the exact same though, saffron is expensive. But I bet it's worth it for a special family dish like this.

Organizing Mommy said...

Yes, Saffron IS expensive. But.. my Mom and Dad did some traveling and brought home some from.. Spain? I think. And they were not doing anything with it, so I inherited a bunch of it. So, expensive is relative.