Thursday, May 10, 2012

Love my Grandma Mary

Just yesterday my Grandma Mary had a stroke.  She is 91.  As of now, she is still alive, but she  may not make it through the night. 


Grandma is on the left.  Next to her is Grandpa Al and his family members.   I was scanning through all  of my photos.  Gram, why do you not smile??  You are so pretty.




My Grandma is actually my Dad's mother, but my own mother (on right) is very much like a daughter to her.

My Mom rented this cottage for a few nights and invited them out for the evening.  It was a nice time.
 My Gram is always reading something.  No doubt she is informing Grandpa of something or other..
 They all knew her at the public library.  She would get the latest books and devour them.
 It could be why she was completely lucid until she slipped into a coma this afternoon.
 My Mom had just dropped her off at her apartment after her hair appointment at 10:20.  My Dad showed up at 11:00 and realized that she had had a stroke.
 It's quite amazing that he noticed it so quickly.  And it is also amazing that all three sons were able to get to the hospital and see Grandma in a lucid state.
 She has experienced so much life! I have so much that I could write about her. But she was one of those extremely "with-it" type of Grandmas who could easily keep up with all of her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.  Jamie just saw her a few weeks ago and had dinner at her house just a few days ago.
 I pulled the birthday card down that she mailed me THIS year.  It probably had a $10.00 bill in it or some coupons for something.    People always said that I looked like my Grandma Mary.
 That would be an honor, indeed.   But I am not even sure if that is true.  But what I do know is this: I can cook like her!  Thank you Grandma for teaching me how to make: saffron bread, pasties, chicken and risotto, and partridge and polenta.  I have a rich heritage.

Indeed.

Thank you for your prayers.

3 comments:

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

Praying for you all.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Jena, my heart hurts for you. She sounds like such a lovely lady!

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

I just prayed for you and your family. What a fun, smart, spunky lady your Grandma is. And I really do think you look like her. That was the first thing I thought when I saw that first picture you put up.