Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Grocery pick up

I know I've told you this before, but I think it is true.  I am a magnet for weird happenings.  And yesterday was no exception.

So, let me preface this story with this.  Have you ever had an urgent need for groceries?  Yeah.  The toilet paper is all gone kind of need??  And I'm expecting a family with three big teenagers who eat a lot?? and they will probably arrive before I get home from the grocery store because I had all of these pressing things to do that day??

So, I arrive at the grocery store--fully prepared to buy what I was making for dinner that night, hoping that my kids could clear a space on the kitchen counter for the MOTHER LOAD when I arrived.  So, it's going well.  I'm building my menu in my head as I toss everything from organic basil to white truffle oil in the cart.  And toilet paper.  We can't forget that.  And since I had no time to eat lunch before I arrived (and it was already after 3:00 p.m.) I thought I should grab one of those little sushi packs and a green machine.  So, I knew that I would want the sushi, green machine and the gum with me in the front of the car, so I carried those with me.  Every thing else was going to be on the pick up.

Do you guys have grocery pick up service?  It's quite awesome, really.  You just toodle out to your car and drive it up to the pick up station and show them your receipt.  On the receipt is the number of your cart.  Slick. Convenient.  Why would you want to shop at a place that does NOT place the groceries in the car for you??   I digress.

So, in waiting for this awesome service, I broke out the little fish piles and the green drink and was enjoying a delightful lunch, not really realizing how long this was taking the little dude to get my groceries.  He comes and looks at the receipt twice and leaves again.

Great.  Did I grab last week's receipt and show him the wrong one? figures.  But, no.  It was the right one.

So, soon enough the manager comes out.  "Ma'am.. something happened to your groceries.  There's been a mixup."

Someone either stole my groceries or they got loaded into someone else's car by accident.

?Really???  The nice lady said that someone was going to re-shop for all of my groceries and drive them out to my house.

So, I took this gigantic list and went over it, item by item.  Every vegetable-- zuchinis (two green, one yellow), basil (organic), blueberries (non organic) and on and on and on.

And so I drove home without groceries to a house full of people.  I called my daughter on the way home.

Do you see any food in the house?  Could you somehow arrange it on a plate?  Cuz we aren't going to be eating until 8:00 or 9:00 tonight.

And for the first time in my life, I have an actual excuse for a late dinner!

So, a few hours later, I get a call from the grocery store informing me that they had my groceries and would I like a case of pop or water for my inconvenience.  No.  I really do not want pop or water; I would like IZZE. Grapefruit Izze, and I need a lot of it.

So, within the hour, a little Mexican guy rolls in with several bags of groceries and the Izze.

I thanked him for bringing the groceries all the way out to the house, but especially the toilet paper.  After all, we only had 11 butts to wipe.  (but I think I said 19, just for effect)  I don't think he really wanted to leave, since he knew that this is where the party was going to be.

So, what really happened to the groceries?

He told me the groceries were not stolen but were put in someone else's car by mistake.  The lady only lived 10 minutes from the store, so she brought them back.  She said, and I quote, "What am I going to do with all of this stuff??"

Let me just say this.  If someone wants to load my car with someone else's groceries,  especially if it was full of organic veggies and pasta and sharp cheddar cheese and real butter, I would probably say, "Praise the Lord" and call it good.

Until my guilt got the best of me, and I would probably (eventually) feel guilty about eating $212.00 worth of someone else's food.  So far that hasn't happened.  The only thing that came close to that is going through the taco bell drive through, we some how were gifted with about 10 extra tacos.  By the time I had realized that we had an endless supply of tacos, we were already several miles from the store and most of them were eaten already.

In this case, we were not eating someone else's tacos and  someone else wasn't eating our food, and we were actually eating what I had planned.

It wasn't even 8:00 and we were eating our dinner on the deck and having Izze in little champagne glasses on the picnic table.  A beautiful evening.  A nice dinner and plenty to laugh about.







9 comments:

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

we were out of toilet paper yesterday too.=)

Kathi said...

Only you, Jena! The Lord must take delight in what shinanagans He's going to let you endure so you can handle them with humor and grace and help the rest of us laugh...and not take our next trial quite so seriously. I can see a future speaking career for you when the kids are all grown up, and I want to be on the front row laughing with you!

Jena said...

Thanks so much, Kathi! Yes, I too, fear a future speaking career. But we'll let them discover me accidentally, and I'll put it off as long as I can. Right now getting my family FED is all the drama I can handle.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

You ARE a magnet! Of fun :D

Julie

PS I'll be next to Kathi ;D

sara said...

Pick up service!? Our grocery store makes you ring up your own groceries on a stupid robot machine. I am officially jealous.

Jena said...

Julie: YOU would love Kathi. She writes a blog, and she's my "spiritual mother/aunt" of sorts. Her blog is: http://kathrynwarmstrong.wordpress.com/

Jena said...

Sara: I can not believe we are the only ones who have old fashioned grocery service! Our store is called: Woodmans, and I love it. "Family owned" it says on the outside of the store!

Mrs. Parunak said...

At least my store still has some check lanes with real people in them, but there is DEFINITELY no pick up service, or awesome people to re-shop for you and drive the food to your house.

Cheap Runescape Gold said...

Wonderful formula! We've started creating my own, personal laundry cleaning agent just lately * as well as adore it * try not to have a pretreatment apply - They are Simple elements for planning to supply video attempt!!! Thanks for putting up it!