Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Deal with it.. curls and all.

 Yup.  This is me.  Here I am.  You needed to know that, eh?  Do you know what else you needed to know?  My hair is curly.  It's always been curly.  Some times it has been shorter or longer, darker, redder or blonder, but it's hard to change the basic structure.

 And for years--probably 42 years-- I have been trying to in some way manage this mop of curls into something.. something less...  curly?   Until this year.  No more straightening it out. Nope.  All done.
Now I just get out the curling iron and curl it MORE.  Yes, that's right.  I curl it more.  No more flat iron.  No more blow-drying it straight.  I even go to bed with the hair wet and see how wild it gets by the morning.

Seriously.  Because something has changed.  You know what that is?  My mother told me this would happen.  She said this:  By middle age, we all learn to deal with ourselves.

I think she was probably referring to our lingering mental illnesses and such, but I've taken this to a whole new level.

We figure out who we are, and we learn to deal with it.

If we are short, we revel in our petiteness.

If we are tall, we rejoice in our ability to get things off the top shelf.

If we are twiggy, we are happy to be blown around in the breeze.

If we are stout, we get excited about our strength.

The more I embrace my newfound love for curls, the other issues that are harder to deal with are hovering on the surface like bubbles ready to pop.

For example, I don't think I'll have the luck of suddenly becoming an introvert, but maybe I could channel the verbal energy more usefully?

And I don't think I'm going to suddenly stop desiring to control the world, but maybe I could find one little area of my life to be in management?

And just like embracing the every changing nature of a curly head, our other tendencies in this life are as complex, if not more but very much worthy of finding a healthy outlet.

So, go forth and embrace that.. thing.. that you are dealing with.... that thing that is NOT going to go away no matter what you do.

It's time to call it a strength and get on with your life.  It's really O.K.  

8 comments:

Ruby said...

Yep, I'm with you! With hair and stuff at least. Seeking wisdom in so many areas :-)

singtothelord2 said...

I'm with you, although not quite there yet...and I'm older than you are but I still haven't quite accepted Me yet. Still working on it. :-) Maybe with the Lord's help I'll work on that this week.

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

Wisdom that!=)

Anonymous said...

Jena, Your hair is so pretty. Where is the hedgehog? I love the curls. Love, Sara who is in the middle of relocating and has no computer and can't figure out how to sign in with this dumb phone

Jena said...

Sara: Every morning when I wake up, I visit the HEDGEHOG in me. LOL. Hope your move goes well. Thanks for checking in. And THANKS for the comment about the hair. Yes, I have to "do" it, but it looks fine even in the humidity, which is all we get here. LOL.

SingtotheLORD: Since I know you, I can see all your strengths. They are so Obvious to everyone!! Thanks for being a friend.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

YES! I think we finally start to realize what matters and what doesn't!

Love your wild hair :D

Julie

Jen's Busy Days said...

Still working on it too. Not quite used to this 40 year old body being quite a few kilos heavier than in my 20s and 30s. Do I embrace it or hanker after the "old days"?

Best wishes
Jen in Oz

Mrs. Parunak said...

I love your curls! My hair is wavy and won't hold a curl or stay straight. I have sort of made peace with it though. :p