Monday, July 9, 2012

The grumpy organizer

One day last week, I was in a real snit.  I had on my grumpy pants, and nobody was going to talk me out of it, no way, no how.

So, what is a girl to do? Well, I started by making a list of everything that needed to be done.  And then I sat and pondered that list for a long time.  After all, it's hard enough to write a big list.  One needs a break after that.

So then I decided what I thought was the worst task on the list.  It was ironing.  So, I set up the ironing board and got the iron filled with water.

My reasoning process is something like this: Even if something really awesome comes up, I'm in no place to enjoy it.  At this rate, I may never get there, so I'll fill my day with undesirable tasks.  And I'll start with the grumpiest, most undesirable task on the list.

And this is not a new thing for me.  I have been a grumpy organizer for as long as I can remember.  So, I set my timer for one hour and did one grumpy hour of stuff.  Sure enough.  I got a bunch of ironing done.

Then I went on to do the cleaning/ organizing of the hallway closet.  My mother called me while I was in the middle of it.  I was in the process of getting rid of extra junk and complaining about it.  I'm sure I made her day. "Why do WE HAVE all of this STUFF??"  and other high brow thoughts..

I can't even recall how many closets and rooms I made it through before I went to bed with aching legs.  

When I woke up the next day, I was happy.  And I had a much more organized space than I did before.   The things that were nagging at me were settling down.  I was starting to come to grips with my disappointments in this life.  And somehow, like untangling a big ball of yarn, the OCD organizing helped solve some of life's mysteries.

Cheap therapy for the grumpy organizer.

8 comments:

Mrs B said...

This is so me! Getting a bunch of tasks done that I keep procrastinating on makes life sooo much better and sanity returns - what sanity I know anyway ;)

Ruby said...

Conquering "the list" is always a pick-me-up. Sigh, I'm still at stage one, writing up that very long list.
P.S. Ironing will not make it to my list I fear!

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

Ironing is never on my list-grumpy or not.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for taking out your grumpiness on the messy closets and by working hard. Much better than taking things out on your beloved husband and children! Of course, that happens too, sometimes, and we end up needing to apologize. But, working hard is a GREAT way to reduce stress, be productive, and make us feel better.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is really me, Kathi, but I can't get your happy identity checker to recognize my wordpress account or anything else. :(

Becky said...

Maybe if I get into a grumpy snit my work/sewing/computer/school room could get cleaned and organized.
Then again, if it could be scaled back so that it didn't have to wear quite so many hats, maybe it wouldn't be that big a mess anyway. :D

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Bring it on, sister! Though I'm cracking up, since unless it's really hot I don't mind ironing. But there are plenty of other grumpy tasks ;D Might as well take out my frustration on them than anything else!

Julie

Jena said...

I was thinking, "Wow that anonymous commenter seems to really know me well." duh. Kathi. And Julie--yet ANOTHER reason why we need to be neighbors. The ironing can be an exchange for something I would do for you, eh? Since you don't mind it and all. And you have nothing else to do. LOL. And why would a barefoot hippie need to iron anyway? I married an East Coast shirt-tucked-in kind of guy. He needs ironed stuff. It's just my job.