Monday, July 30, 2012

Letter to my kids..

You guys were gone for a week.  Ma and Pa had the house to ourselves for a week.  Here's some things I've learned.

1) Next time, I won't buy so much food.  Mommy and Daddy do not eat "half" of what you kids eat.  It's more like an eighth.  I finally got so sick of eating the same meal, I donated all of it to the guys who live in a house together.

2) Regular people do not run the dishwasher several times a day like we do when you are home..  In fact, two or more days would pass before the dishwasher needed running.

3) For some odd reason, Mom and Dad woke up to a clean livingroom every morning.  Why the house looks like a disaster every morning when you all are home is beyond me.  I know it can't be you guys causing the clutter.  No.  I think it is something like Mom and Dad got the "neat gene" all of a sudden while you were gone.

4) It's quiet when you guys aren't here.  Almost too quiet.  Daddy was hoping I would take a nap so he could get something done.  So, I took a lot of naps. I think I'm well-rested now.

5) This house is too big.  Except when you guys are here, of course.  But I feel like we could live in a space about 1/2 of this size, except when I open my new pilates studio and then the house will be too small.  And you won't have any bedrooms or play rooms.

6) After all of the hullabaloo about the Chick-fil-A, we've decided to open our own in Rockford.  Well, not officially.  But we are thinking about it.  But I think we are losing freedoms.  I'm not sure what to do about it.  I hope you kids keep your heads on straight and hold on to what freedoms we do have.

7) And now we are all at home watching the Olympics--trying to do our semi-annual TV watching.  All the food is getting eaten.  All the chores are getting done.  The rowdy is back and so are you guys.  And I love it.

So, go ahead.  I'll let you go again.  But you better come back and eat, clutter it up and be rowdy.  I wouldn't want it any other way.




3 comments:

Becky said...

I know how you feel. The girls are at my mom's for one more visit before school starts back up. My house is staying clean, there aren't dishes constantly appearing in the sink, the laundry bins aren't overflowing, with a couple a baskets sitting around to be folded and the quiet is amazing. And yes, the house does seem rather large when they aren't here, as opposed to overflowing when they are.

Kathi said...

I'm going to be an empty nester come August 18. Can it be, after 38 years of houses overflowing with kids, dishes piled in the sink, clutter, noise, and best of all...fun and companionship? It's all so good! I'm glad we're expecting a couple of dozen for Camp Armstrong this week, but I know I'm going to have a very long face when my two youngest leave for graduate school. Just to show you how kind the Lord is, though, He's sending Daniel and Brianna back to us just 2 days later, on August 20th. They'll be living in their own house, but in town. Isn't that wonderful? Enjoy every day with your darling kids. It always seems to go TOO FAST!!!!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Aww. So sweet.