Monday, August 13, 2012

Afternoon cheese

Before I wax eloquently on my regular channel, I feel like I should give a little update on the David/ Rachel situation mentioned here.

Basically, there is no news.  His body is still recovering in a coma-like state, and the family continues to need prayer and wisdom.  His young wife needs rest, and the entire family is all gathering in California--generously paid for by David's work.  

So, with sober news in other parts of the world, it seems irreverent to talk about anything else, but humor and telling stories is my way of life, so this is what we do here.

So, Emily and I were shopping today at Sam's club.  I know, I know.. something new and different.  I barely have to show my card anymore.

When the kids were little, they loved going to Sam's.  Sam's was just short for "sam-ples" which meant eating free food the entire time we were there.  And it was usually good food.  Cheaper than McDonalds--a Mom of little ones told me today, as we were pushing our carts out.

So, we were eating our way through the store, and I stopped at a table.

"Would you be interested in trying some afternoon cheese? Ma'am?"

My wheels were turning.  What is afternoon cheese? Is there morning and evening cheese also?  What about a midnight cheese?

This afternoon cheese looked suspiciously like mozarella.  And we all know that mozarella is an evening cheese--it goes on pizza.  Or is it a morning cheese because it goes in a quiche.  Or is that Swiss? or Brie?

My entire paradigm has been shaken by this young man who works for $9.25 an hour pimping cheese to the unsuspecting homemakers.

So, sure enough.  I tasted it. It was mozarella.  Quite good also.  And even though it was only 2:00 p.m., I was able to digest it just fine.

So, I had to ask why this particular cheese is an afternoon cheese.

"It is for an afternoon snack for when the kids come home from school.  School is starting soon. It's a low-carb, high protein option."

Oooohhhhhhhhhh    I get it!

I know you will be shocked that I did not buy the entire case of individually wrapped cheeses for my homeschooled children who eat all day long.  But I could assign one of those eaters to chop up the 5 pound block into little chunkettes and pass them out at exactly 3:45 p.m. so they will not be missing out on anything once school does start.

Now I know.  And if you are reading this in the afternoon, stop everything and get your cheese.  What are you waiting for?  You might accidentally eat a carb or something if you don't get going.

And I won't tell anyone if you eat cheddar or muenster or even monterey jack!





6 comments:

Nita Brainard said...

Thanks for the good, hearty, healing laugh.

Becky said...

Hahaha. I just love your sense of humor. And I'm glad I'm not the only homeschool mommy whose children much their way through the entire day - not to mention an amazing amount of food.

Mrs. Parunak said...

"Afternoon" cheese?! That stuff is all day "I'm hungry" and "what can I eat?" cheese. Maybe some day we'll chop up the big block, but for now we eat those little individual things like they're going out of style.

Anonymous said...

You are channeling your inner-Paula. I couldn't be prouder.

Paula C.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Afternoon cheese. LOVE IT!

mare ball said...

I get your posts through google reader and I wanted to comment on "Only One Jesus...?" but when I linked back to it, it said it was not available. Did you remove it? Anyhoo...I loved it! So cute.