Thursday, September 27, 2012

ONLY 9 more til 1,000

Yes, I have been inflicting the general population for 9 posts short of 1,000.  Technically, 8 if you count this one.  Which of course, counts.

I'm going to tell you that I need more than just another checked box to account for all of my labor today.  I cleaned the cupboard, the freezer, the fridge and the pantry.

Of course, it wasn't just all in one shot.  I took breaks.  I set my little timer for 40 minutes, and then took a break for 10 minutes.

What did I do for those 10 minutes?  I read a new-to-me Dave Barry book that I picked up for $1.00 at the used book table at the homeschool co--op.  I was tempted to buy something spiritual or educational, but then I thought better of it.

So then, all I wanted to do is hunker down and read it.  Of course, trying to find a place to read my awesome book where my cackles aren't disturbing anyone is a challenge.  I found myself lying face down on a pew in the sanctuary.  My son, Hudson, was teaching a cello lesson.  As soon as I felt a cackle coming on, I buried my head in the pew and tried to stifle it.

Maybe they'll think I'm crying.  I'm all petulant-looking, face down in the pew, making weird sounds.
Surely, I'm having some sort of mother-meltdown thingy, and that explains all the convulsing.  Leave her alone.  She's hormonal. etc.

But when I try to stifle a laugh, it usually ends up like a snort.  And then I hide, lower in the pew.

I finally had to leave the sanctuary and sit outside.  There was a guy adjusting his roofing tiles about a half a mile away and he kept looking back at the ruckus I was making.  Other than that, it was quiet and serene out there.

So, the real question is: what is more rewarding: finally getting some cleaning done or taking a lot of breaks?  No question in my mind--getting the cleaning done.  And you should have seen the magnificent creation I made, purely from things found in the freezer and pantry.

It started with some frozen bananas and a lot of red-flavored jam.  It sort of grew into a banana bread cake thingy with a whole lot of red paste food coloring, just in case.  Red cake seems to be cake, you know.  And I baked the stuff in round cake pans, just to make sure people knew it was cake.  And I added white frosting to the layers.

At this point, I really don't know or care what it tastes like, but it's going into work with Will tomorrow. Anything put in the break room gets eaten, but especially if it looks like cake.  Now I'm hoping that everyone will flock to the break room and eat it.

Will can send out an email to his co-workers tomorrow:

RED CAKE near microwave.  HURRY and get some before it is all gone.

or he could put:

Come and eat this RED thing that really is CAKE, and I don't want to hear about how it tastes like banana bread.

Either one will do.







3 comments:

Rebecca Galla said...

Can you specify what "red flavoring" tastes like? ;-)

Jena said...

Well, that is so easy, Rebecca. Red-flavoring is: strawberry, raspberry, cherry and apple--all the leftover flavors of jam that I had in the freezer or fridge. As opposed to orange flavored, which is: orange, peach, and mango. Or yellow flavored: banana, pineapple, and banana peppers.

Nita Brainard said...

I knew that, Jena. Rebecca must not shop in the left-over isle at the grocery store as I am accused of doing. If I knew how to tell stories like you, I would tell about the consternation I fell into today when asked for the "recipe" for the concoction I brought out in public recently. Instead, I'll just laugh at yours. Thanks a bunch.