Monday, September 10, 2012

Remembrance

The spirit of patriotic Americans is indomitable.  It is strong, forceful, arrogant at times, but nevertheless, a force to be reckoned with.

I know this.  I've been an American for 43 years.  Some of those years I lived the life of an ex-pat, overseas while my husband served his country.  Some of those years have included travel, visiting other cultures and countries.  We have also encouraged our children to do what we have done--travel, learn, appreciate, and grow!

In this growth, we have not encouraged our children to be any "less" American, except to give up the arrogance and ethno-centricity that comes from a parochial, small-mindedness.  We are to remain distinctly American while embracing the good of other cultures.

But in remaining distinctly American, we need to define what that means.  Shall we be Americans in the historical sense or in the current sense?

By being American in the historical sense, we respect differing views, while graciously maintaining a well-educated, reasoning position.  The founding fathers were not intimidated by opposing viewpoints in the sense that they needed to engage in censorship and media control.  Of course, what was media in those days? Competing newspapers?  The pony express?

And yet, what it means to be an American has changed.  Very few people care enough to read, or read enough to care.  Freedoms are being compromised for control and protection.  The free speech of the internet is one of the few remaining vestiges of human expression.  If we turn on the TV, we have to endure the media in order to get information.

When I went to school for journalism, it was still considered to be the norm to be unbiased, unless you were writing an editorial.  Editorials were considered legal ground for bias.  But basic news reporting was considered to be bad journalism if it were with such a slant as to make your bias obvious.

I wonder if the any of our TV reporters would pass the test of unbiased journalism?  And can we call it--what it is-- biased journalism is--propaganda.   In the same way we criticized that "RED" country for not allowing free speech and subduing truth in the form of media, we have slowly crept across the midline into this arena of censored media.

And you thought this post was going to be about remembering 911.

In a way it is.  But I ask this: at what point is 911 going to marginalized into oblivion by the mainstream media?  When will our suffering (as a nation) be considered unimportant journalism?

I look forward to carrying some memories on into old age.  Some will be happy memories.  Others will be tragic.  But they will not be censored, as I pass them down to my children, and (some day) grandchildren.

And I have no interest in making my blog, facebook, or pinterest account a venue for my political views.  For those of you who are enjoying the freedom of speech that we still currently have and want to use it for that purpose, I salute you.

If I thought that voicing my opinions there was going to some how bring peace and harmony into real life relationships or make a difference in anyone's eternal destiny, I probably would indulge in that also.  As for now, I see no real hope in any one man in political leadership.  But I do see much hope in any one man or woman who surrenders everything to Christ.  

4 comments:

Ruby said...

Beautiful, heartfelt post. Our country is going the same way. The media here is very biased and it is often hard to know and understand what the truth is about certain situations.
Meanwhile, we wait with expectation for the glorious day of Jesus return!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm with you, Jena. Can't trust the media, that's for sure. And while I will vote and do my part to the best of my ability, my hope is in the Lord.

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

I like your last line: "But I do see much hope in any one man or woman who surrenders everything to Christ." Amen to that.

mare ball said...

I'm with Parunak...the last line is great and true. This life is wasting away and the longer it goes on, the more corrupt things become. I worry about our country, but I personally can't do much about it. God is in control.