Thursday, October 25, 2012

I'll keep this day

Lake weather.

Summer-morning-at-the-Lake weather.

That's what I have this morning.  Here, in my happy home-- and we are no where near a lake, and it's not summer.

I have almost every window of the house open.  I am delighting in the tune of the familiar wind chime that was given to us as a wedding gift and has moved with us 10 times over the 21 years.  Every where we go, we have the same sounds when the wind is blowing.

Will has given that precious wind chime a complete overhaul (at least once) to keep it working.

"I LOVE that wind chime!"  I would whine every time we moved and took a look at it to see if it really should come with us on yet another move.


Simple. Familiar. Faithful. Comforting.

It's just a little thing.

And yet, before you know it-- I'm back in Michigan, holding a baby.  The home on the river with the 70's decor, baby-barf-green carpeting.  The young husband donned in a flight suit, with the smell of JP4 on his body.  My attempts at making biscuits, with flour strewn everywhere..  My crazy curly hair swept back in a pony tail, while I tried to learn how to be a mother and wife at the age of 23.

And the wind chime keeps time with the wind.  

The wind, like the Holy Spirit does not submit itself to a metronome.  It goes in and out and stops and goes.  It's not ours to control--just to enjoy.  It's a mystery, unsolved by time and experience.

And the wind chime keeps going.  

Twenty years later that baby is trying to earn his own flight suit.  The young husband wearing a green flight suit has assumed the look of a handsome middle-aged man with a touch of grey and a buttoned down shirt with khaki pants.  My kitchen is not any cleaner than it was, except I have many hands who not only make biscuits, they make bread, cookies, and many other things.  The floor is not carpeted, but covered in a lovely wood flooring that took 10 years to afford.
And I still have the crazy curly hair, which never seems to be healthy enough to survive a growing out session or a ponytail.   Too busy to take care of my hair properly, I guess.  And I am still learning to be a wife and a mother at the age of 43.

And the wind chime keeps going.

Yup.  I'll keep this day.





7 comments:

sara said...

Lovely.

Nita Brainard said...

The one who usually makes me laugh made me cry today. (Yeah, I was in the mood. :-)

Jena Webber said...

Nita-- I know, eh? Felt like crying and then BAM something touches you. Happy to be that one. I'm all energy today. Energized by the weather, I went out worked outside for two hours. Trimmed and hauled a bunch of brush. Pretty fun.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sounds wonderful :D

Julie G

kathrynwarmstrong said...

Lovely thoughts about our precious Holy Spirit and wind chimes! Mine are making gentle melodies outside my window today, only we didn't get them early in our marriage. We got them 4 years ago to commemorate the occasion of sprinkling my parents' combined ashes over the Rocky Mountains, which is where they met and where they married...and wanted to be "buried" together. I am almost 20 years older than you are, Jena, and still trying to learn how to love my dear husband and all the wonderful people God has put in my life. Isn't life a mystery? Thanks for giving us all something to think about when we hear our winds chime.

The Boojes said...

Love it! :) We have a wonderful windchime too...an "alto", so it's not tinny and annoying...and E gave it to me for mother's day after our first baby was born, I remember thinking, "This will be part of the soundtrack of P's growing-up years."

Thanks for the comment the other day. :) We heard T & D might be heading our way - as in moving?? We'll see where God takes them.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Ha! I was going to say "Lovely," but Sara already said it. This WAS a lovely post though.