Thursday, November 1, 2012

Such a career mommy

Oh, that title was a joke.  But seriously, I worked 7 hours this week and it completely put me over the top.  I'm exhausted.

My little "professional organizing" (wire management) job that I do (as they need me) is something I haven't done in a few months.  And they called me back!  Woo hoo!  So, it nicely coordinated with the kids being off from Hallstrom this week, so I had helpers and support.

But I am not sure how these career mommies do it.  On Tuesday, I did about an hour worth of housework before I left.  I had one errand to do on the way to work.  Then I blitzed four hours of organizing.  Joanna met me there and dropped off Emily, and I took her to ballet class.  I worked out, and we went into the pool for a bit.  We went grocery shopping and then picked up Nathanael from basketball.  And then we got home.

I was too exhausted to even help with groceries and dinner.  I blobbed there, trying to prop my eyelids open to not go to bed at 8:30, like I did on Monday.

OK so I'm not a career mommy, nor do I ever plan to be one.  But I guess you just get used to it??  Don't plan to find out anytime soon.

But there is one cool thing about working.

No. it's not the money. (but that is useful when it comes)

No. it's not the clout and respect.

In my case, I look like a female "Schneider" with my classy tools, safety glasses, and jangling keys.  I'm not exactly high heel clicking around there.  I even had a group of geeky guys inspecting my equipment and approved of the mini Makita handheld battery-operated tools, but I digress.  It is severely cool, especially for a "girly girl" like myself being able to operate machinery and all.

But that's not it either.

It's the people.  It's always the people for me.  No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I enjoy meeting new people.

And I can assure you that I was "toning it down" for me, and yet a few of them came and told my husband that I was "such a hoot!"  Go figure.  I can assure you that I was as boring as I ever get.

But that's over.  It could be months before they need me again, and that's cool.  If they need me, and it works with my schedule and family, I do a little work.  If not, I have plenty to do around here.  Blitzing and laundry, for example.  And torturing perfectly normal people into spending their precious free time into reading this blog.  And trying to get organized.  Yes, we still have to get organized.

And we have to keep getting organized.  That's just the way we roll.


6 comments:

sara said...

You ARE a hoot!

I'm not sure if I ever told you this story, so bear with me: When I graduated from grammar school my sixth grade teacher wrote in my autograph book, "A bright, articulate girl, now if you'd only get organized!" I'm working on in Mrs. Vargas, I promise.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

You ARE a hoot - I agree! But help me... what was this job???

Julie

Jena Webber said...

The job is professional organizing, specifically "wire management" which, believe it or not, is a "need" in corporate America. I go under the desks and take care of getting the wires of the ground and getting them organized. I know. I know. A first world problem, for sure.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I was wondering what "wire management" was - now I get it. Very much needed in this first world we enjoy ;D

kathrynwarmstrong said...

I was going to say that you ARE a hoot, but everybody beat me to it. Undeniable. Without question. Even when you're trying to be boring! Why else do you think Will is smiling so often?

Mrs. Parunak said...

Well, clearly there's no need for ME to chime in about how you ARE a hoot! But, yes, I agree with you. I don't know how working mothers do it.