Sunday, December 16, 2012

Singing the rainy Christmas blues..

Well, technically they aren't singing the blues--they are playing them on the piano.  Hud has this knack for just sitting down at the keyboard and striking up songs, lately he plays the blues.

And he has taught Emily the other hand (whatever you call those high notes), and she is playing right along with him.

If blues are so depressing, why do they sound so happy sometimes?  Maybe because it was just yesterday that it was Emily's 8th birthday??  Or maybe because my old, long-lost friend, Rita, popped in for a quick visit after not seeing her for 18 years? Or maybe it is because I just got to see my fabulous Mom and Dad right before they departed on a month-long trip up the Amazon river, starting in Rio?

Not sure.

But I know that there are many many people singing the blues this year, mourning the loss of loved ones.  Those poor families out in Connecticut!  The unspeakable tragedy on the loss of so many little children and adults in a small town elementary school.

Also, two of my good friends have lost their mothers recently.  Not sure how I would cope without my mother, although it is foolish to act like she's never going to die.  I am just so thankful for her being alive right now.

My parents visited us for three days, and we were so busy we hardly had time to eat a meal at home.  The first night we went out to the Red Robin for dinner.  Emily was in a Christmas program for Hallstrom, and she was in a dance performance.  She was all decked out in her holiday tutu and got a picture with the big red robin.

  There's something delightful about having a child young enough to enjoy being with a big, stuffed bird.

And being 8 is a delightful thing.  She's old enough to laugh at the jokes, but not required to tell any of them yet.

She can play with play-dough or choose to read a book.

She can cuddle up in our laps or pretend to be the mother and baby one of her dollies.

She can dance in the recital and then come back and sit with Mom and Dad.

Yes.  Life may be a little rainy, here in the midwest, but it isn't all that bad.  And for any of those little families out in Connecticut who have lost their little ones, we love you and pray for you.  I can not imagine holding my little eight year old one day and not having her come home from school that afternoon.

Unspeakable.




2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Well said, Jena, well said.

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

"Not sure how I would cope without my mother, although it is foolish to act like she's never going to die. I am just so thankful for her being alive right now." That's just how I feel about my mom.