Friday, December 7, 2012

studying the lines

My two boys are in the homeschool play this week.  It is a darling production with a hilarious scenes and sub-plots.  A completely brilliant  theater teacher writes these plays every year, and they just get better and better.

This year's fall play is called "Justice or Mercy".  Hudson had a leading role as Justice.  And Nathanael played a smaller role as one of the high school kids.   The play contrasts the two aspects of justice and mercy through the characters and their quest for a job in a small Wisconsin town, run primarily by old people.

Many old people.  Many funny old people.

And since I'm a Drama Mama this year, in addition to the other hats I wear, I get to be on the makeup committee, making otherwise normal looking teenagers look like geriatrics.  Fun!  Fun, indeed.

So, we took a small class on how to do this.  There's a definite method, and it is not random science.  It's kind of like art and science mixed.

I was particularly proud of my work on Mark, a former English student of mine.  He had to wear a skull cap to make him look bald; a wig around the base of the head; and then a mustache.  We had to make his eyebrows look all bushy.  And then the many layers of pancake makeup, shading, highlighting and then age lines.  There were many people doing the makeup, and one mom came and helped out, even though she didn't even have a child in the play.  For the record, that mom is one of my fiber-arts friends who is artsy and fun.

So, the first play performance was last night.  The next one is Saturday night.  Because of scheduling, there is a day off between performances, which happens to be today.

But today was bittersweet.

There was a funeral of a lovely, godly woman who died at age 70, after a 6 year battle with Alhzeimers .  Mary-Evelyn was much celebrated at her funeral.  She loved the Lord and wanted everything from a puppet show for children, a Gospel message,  and Gospel dance team-- which was awesome, by the way.

So, her dear widower, Bill sat by us during the lunch.  He was as happy and light as anyone could hope to be.  And I looked at him.

He was smiling.  And I looked at him.  Instead of creating an old person on the face of a teenager, I had a perfect one right here.  And it was beautiful.

All the places where there were supposed to be lines on his face, there were lines.  And there I was, looking like I had stellar social skills and eye contact, and I was, but really I was studying the facial lines.

So, now I know that when I appear to be really looking at someone,  particularly someone older than me,  I am learning from them.  I am studying the lines on their faces and trying to appreciate what is it that makes those lines.

And how much exposure have I had with people and influences that try to erase those lines to bring back the vibe of youth again.  And all for what?  To cover up those beautiful lines?  Hhhmmm... I need to rethink this.

In the meantime, I'll earn my lines very gradually while I am the mother of two actors, one basketball player, two college students, one ballerina, two cello students, and one overbooked husband.   Oh, and that only equals five children and one husband. HA!


3 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Amen :D

kathrynwarmstrong said...

You rock! One of these years, you might try your hand at writing a comedic play. I'm sure it would be brilliant!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Lovely thoughts. I hope my lines develop in all the right places.