Monday, January 21, 2013

All day counseling..

So, there's always a story within a story around here.

The main story goes something like this.  Will and I went to an all day Marriage Conference in the Chicago area with three other couples.  It was called "Have the Marriage you've always wanted" by Gary Chapman.  Loved loved loved it.  And yeah, it was my actual birthday day, so that made it doubly special, cuz it is.

So, the other kids were at home doing various things.  Joanna and Emily spent the day together, making cupcakes.  The boys (Hudson and Nathanael) had an all day  workshop with the Music Academy.  They went out to lunch and ended the day going over to their friends' house for evening activities.

Now, in trying to catch up with the kids, I had just realized how much time they have been spending with their friend, Nate and his family and we really haven't even met their parents yet.   Even as I write this, I have waves of guilt coming over me.  I know that their friends seem like great kids and they all go to Hallstrom, but I was wondering what they must be thinking of us! 

So, I brought it up with Hud.

"Hud, I feel kind of bad.  You spend all this time over their house, eating their food, watching their movies.  Do they think you even have parents?"

"Oh, yeah-- they asked what you guys were doing.."

"Oh?  So, what did you tell them?"

"Marriage counseling.  All day marriage counseling.  Yup.  That's what they need."

Great.  Poor Hud and Than belong to this dysfunctional family and the parents (who don't care enough to meet the parents of their best friends) are in all day marriage counseling.

During the sob story, they feasted on Pesto pizza from the kind hands of this loving mother.. who is (probably) highly perplexed by this scene-- as she should be...

"Well..  (trying to gain my composure).. Did you offer to help?  Did you give a full-sentence thank you?"

"I did offer to help before and after the meal.  But I'm not sure my thank you had an object of the preposition.. "

whatever.

So, I have to say that the all day counseling was quite excellent.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  There's supposed to be another session in April in Chicago area.   He does 15 of these sessions around the country.  And Gary Chapman is a Moody Grad, so Moody students get a discount!

So, yes. it was a great birthday.  We even went out to dinner with two of the other couples to really swank restaurant called "Garrets" by the golf course.  I had hand made seafood-filled raviolis.  yum.

We ordered one piece of cake and one serving of creme brulee, in which everyone could have a bite.



Perfect end to a perfect day.




4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh gee... sounds just like something my kids would do! But what a great b'day!

Julie

The dB family said...

Hehehe! Kids are so smart! Sounds like a wonderful day!

Blessings!
Deborah

kathrynwarmstrong said...

Oh, I'd love to go. I think Alan is out of vacation time this year, but when they send you an email ad about next year's seminars...forward it to me, will you? BTW, I'm sure your kids' parents can tell your kids are loved and cared for!!! Not to worry! (Of course, their parents could be druggies...) JUST KIDDING!

Mrs. Parunak said...

This reminds me of the time my five-year-old daughter went out to play in the snow insisting that she wanted to wear her old snow pants from last year that barely cover her knees because her boots would cover the rest and the next size up snow suit waiting patiently for her in its Rubbermaid tote was "too big." She somehow wound up at the neighbor's for hot chocolate. And the neighbor's mom asked her about her too-small snow suit. My daughter's explanation? "Everything Mommy gives me is too short." My daughter came home with a new snow suit the neighbor had recently outgrown. Yes, I was mortified.

Glad you enjoyed your "counseling."