Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year 2013!!

So, you survived the tinsel and trimmings of Christmas and now it's time to gear up for the new year.

I, personally, love a new year.  We had a New Year's Eve party at our chapel last night, and it was great fun.  But I had to hold back from talking about all the things that I wanted to talk about since I knew I'd get a big grooooooooooooan from everyone if I tried.

So, that's why I have a blog.  So, I can torture the rest of the free world with all of my "extra nonsense" reserved for those who are like-minded hedgehogs.. (for those of you who are new to this blog, the hedgehog is a reference to me, in a disheveled state like what I look like when I first get out of bed)

So, what is it that I really wanted to talk about?

1) Exercise!!  Movement is medicine.  And I think we should all find it in our schedules to do some form of exercise.  Of course, I would say pilates!!!  But you can start with anything that sounds good to you.  I would like to continue to write my posts about pilates this year--specifically trying to help those who would love to start pilates but live in a remote part of the world that does not have trained pilates teachers.

One of the best decisions I made last year was to get a personal pilates trainer.  It has been so wonderful to have someone looking specifically at my body and helping me learn the movements on my own.  I refer to my obliques as "Obliques by Frankie"  LOL.   It's about safety and then fitness.  And I was shocked to find a pair of jeans (one size smaller than I normally wear) that fit perfectly yesterday.  Coincidence? or pilates? you tell me.

O.K. you can groan now.

Next!!

2) Organization!!  An organized home is a home that can serve the LORD!  We all have areas of improvement that we need to conquer.  I would carve out a section of the house and just focus on getting that ONE room up to speed.  When you see how much you love being in that one area of the house, it is so motivating!!!

I have been blitzing/ organizing my husband's shop, and I am shocked to see how much he loves doing stuff down there now.  GEtting rid of trash, empty boxes, stuff you don't need--creates space for the things that you ARE still using.

O.K. you can really groan now.

3) Goals!!  Since I've already overwhelmed 3/4 of the population with this Mary Poppins post, I think I'll just keep going.

Goals are wonderful way to help prioritize your activities.  We all claim to be too busy, but maybe we are just fulfilling specific values?  I, personally, like being busy.  I love the energy that goes with a life full of activities and fun.  I like people and social stuff.

But if you are an introvert (someone who gets energy from being alone) as opposed to an extrovert (someone who gets energy from being with others), you will need to make a purposeful effort to have less activities and more recharge time.  That's O.K.   We are not all alike.  Just figure out what makes you tick and get the job done.  I love the book: Time Management from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern for help with goal setting/ schedule planning.

And every year it is a new puzzle.  Kids grow up fast, and their activities/ interest levels change, so we have to make adjustments.  Some kids don't want 12 years of piano lessons.  And the list goes on..

I was shocked to see much fun it is to have a son who plays basketball.  It is our first child to join a real sports team (Nathanael, 4th child, age 15), and I was really impressed to see how God is using it.

And it's O.K. to have goals that are completely different from your closest friends.  God deals with people differently.  True friends will respect what God is doing in the life of their friends without judging or trying to make them conform.

Are you swinging from your umbrellas yet?

and lastly!!!

4) Encouragement!!  Encouraging others is life giving, love-enduring, and just plain old fun.  It takes so little to be kind, smile and listen.  And I think if we all looked around, we could find someone to encourage..  (Notice I didn't say EXHORT)  Exhort is a strong word reserved for very tough situations.  Yes, it is needed on some occasions, but that is not what I am talking about.  Encouragement is just observing what someone is going through and giving a kind word, gesture or a smile to someone who is hurting or needs a laugh.

You don't have to be an extrovert to be an encourager.  Kindness goes a long way in the form of kind deeds also.  So,  what are your New Year's thoughts???



3 comments:

Bernadette Veenstra said...

I like that..."it is okay to have goals different from your closest friends." I often feel pressured in this online world to conform-and I a not a conformer. Thanks for reminding me that it is okay to be different.

Jenny P. said...

Happy New Year Jena!

Nita Brainard said...

I like number 4. The other three don't fit in my introverted lifestyle. I give each of them just enough to pass, then sit back and watch YOU do them! :-)