Monday, March 25, 2013

More great things.

I started a list of awesome stuff here.   And I'd like to continue my list of good stuff.

It's hard because I like the simple things in life, which isn't going to satisfy anyone's need to go out and buy the latest and greatest thing.  No.  These awesome things are going to be very inexpensive and available to most of the world.

So, without further ado.. my next awesome list of things to do, eat, make, create, or enjoy...


1) My easiest dinner idea:  Lentils and Rice

That's right.  It's yummy, cheap, fast, convenient and requires no refrigeration.  It can be put on time bake for a long time without worrying if the raw chicken is going to go bad.

So, here's how to do this.

Get a bag of lentils.  Measure out the bag.  It's usually 2 1/2 cups.  Now just measure out an equal amount of brown rice.  In this case, it is 5  cups of grains.  Find a large covered casserole dish.  Dump all of the grains in the dish.  Add some salt (1-2 t. of salt, depending on your love of salt) Now add double amount of water.  So, if you have 5 cups of grains, you need 10 cups of water.

Sound like too much?  Fine.  Just put any amount of lentils of rice and double the amount to figure out the water.  Don't have enough rice? Fine.  Just vary the amounts.  Any amount of rice.  Any amount of lentils.  Double the water.

I think you have the idea.  These things bake in the oven for about 60- 75 minutes at 350* F.

So, how to serve this:

1) Put out the grated cheese, sour cream and salsa-- let everyone garnish their own

or

2) fry up some frozen chicken, veggies (cooked in butter) and throw them on top.

or

3) Eat plain and pretend you are in the Middle Ages.  Dress up like Martin Luther.

Easy peasy, eh?

The real question is: is this good?  Of course it is!!  And if it isn't, starve your family a little more.  Perhaps they are snacking too much.  Then, it will be soooooooooo good because they are hungry.

And since we are talking about easy food, I think I will introduce my easiest dessert ideas.

2) SUPER EASY DESSERT: chocolate peanut butter quesidillas.

How to do this: You need two tortillas, peanut butter, chocolate chips and a griddle.  We use the cast iron tortilla-shaped griddle on the stovetop.  Any flat frying pan will do.

So, you spread the peanut butter on one side of ONE of the tortillas.  You make a "peanut butter sandwich" with the other one, stuffing chocolate chips in with the peanut butter before you close the tortilla.  Cook the "quesidilla" on both sides until the chocolate and peanut butter gets all gooey and yummy.  And then you remove it to the plate.  Cut with a pizza cutter and BAM! dessert!

Oh, and I have one more gourmet delight up my sleeve...

3) EVEN easier DESSERT: chocolate dipping

How to do this: You need about a cup of chocolate chips and 4 T of butter.  Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave until the entire thing is melted but not burned.  (about a minute or so)  Stir the mixture up and divide it into little dipping bowls.  ( the bowls that are used in restaurants to serve salsa)

So, each child has their own bowl of chocolate goo.  Then, set out: bananas, nuts, pretzels, strawberries or whatever you have on hand that may go well with chocolate.   They can double-dip until their heart's content, and nobody will mind.

And there's not a lot of fussing ahead of time for this type of cooking, which is my style of doing things.

On a funnier note, I did have one guest tell me that I make desserts that "his mother would not even think to make".... !  No kidding.  In other words, these are unusual options for the dessert lovers who happen to be... recovering from something, too busy to bake or just plain hedge-hogged out.

Enjoy!



 



3 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Yum, yum, yum!

Especially anything with chocolate!

Julie

kathrynwarmstrong said...

I'm going to try the quesadillas with chocolate chips and peanut butter. At our house so far it's been even worse: if I don't have a dessert planned, the kids get out a big tablespoon, scoop out some peanut butter and roll it in chocolate chips. BUT, they'll love your idea for a gourmet moment! We do the chocolate thing often, and it's great. I'll have to try to lentils and rice. I love the way you cook...sounds just like me! Presto fasto can't be beat o!

Mrs. Parunak said...

"Pretend you're Martin Luther!" HA! That's awesome! See all the fun I've missed while I'v been off having a baby?