Saturday, March 9, 2013

Post-homeschooling clean out..

Bbbbwwaaaaaaaaa....   wimper wimper, sniff.. sniff...

Even though the last 147 years of your life (more or less) have been devoted to homeschooling, why is it so hard to even imagine one day without it?

And what do you do with all of those 18 million supplies that were collected over those 147 years?

For those of you on "the caboose"( last child) and are ready to discover the next adventure in your life, it is somewhat emotionally traumatic and clutter-chaotic to even think about what to do with all of that.. stuff?

And don't ask the kids.  They'll just respond with something like, "WhAT??  Why would you WANT to save that?"

They are in college now.  They have computers with big hard drives.  Anything they wanted to save is there.  It's probably on some mysterious internet planet called a "cloud" ???  And while they have been skipping along merrily, carrying only a backpack, a computer and a spare set of underwear, we are left with 175 cubic feet of "excellent educational supplies"... and our memories..  many, many memories...

(pass the kleenex)

O.K.  It is no secret that I am emotionally attached to all of my homeschooling materials.  But for the good of the planet and my state of mind, even I have to part with things.

I recommend a scrap book (or a scrap book box, if you aren't into fussy fussy) to contain that special book, great test, special what-not from whatever for each child.  People who go to regular schools do this, so why not us?

Also, a scanner works well for things like artwork.  Take pictures of those little clay thingy blobs, which serve no real purpose anyway.  Try to get the junk down to one box per kidlet.

Next.

Grab a few of your favorite supplies and decide what you want to save for grandchildren or young people who come to visit.  These are usually toys or hands-on things.  It's nice to have a box of toys for visitors, why not use those educational supplies?

My (small) guests usually leave our house one cognitive level ahead of where they came in.. just sayin'

And I get "the teacher mode" out of me for a little while.  This helps me with the temptation to volunteer at some random school or something.  But that's just me.

If you have no desire to teach random urchins who walk through your door or any future grandchildren,  it's just an easy job to find places to donate the stuff.

Sell or donate?

I prefer donate.  But a lot of people make money on selling books.  I have a guy who takes my books and sells them and gives me 50%.  That's good enough for me, if I feel like selling.

And I DO recommend getting rid of almost everything, except for high end books that are not textbookish.  Why?  Everyone is going digital.  Pretty soon everything is going to be online and available through mysterious planets like "cloud" or whatever.  And textbooks (even Saxon) updates all the time.  Except Mr. Moe.

Now Mr. Moe has been teaching the math classes at Hallstrom for a long time, and he refuses to play the "buy the new edition" game that all the publishers play.  So, when we are finally done taking all of his classes, I will just donate all of my books to him so he can share them with his students.

If Mr. Moe lives long enough (O.K. that's rude).. what I meant to say is.. If Mr. Moe isn't playing golf in Florida by the time Emily needs Algebra 2, he'll probably still be using Edition 1.  'just sayin.

And that is my final word on what to do with all of that.. stuff!!




4 comments:

Jenny P. said...

We've greatly appreciated the learning things that ended up our way :) Thanks again!

Ruby said...

That is a tough project isnt's it? I still have a couple of years depending how long my 'cabooses' stick with it but have been quite ruthless with the stuff that will never be used. I've kept stuff for the grandkids but not much as they are going to school.

kathrynwarmstrong said...

Wish I could give you a hug. After 147 years of either going to class every day or teaching class every day, I found giving up homeschooling totally traumatic, although my last baby was off to college, so what else could I do? The kids coerced me into burning all but one of each of their workbooks, and I do have a box of mementos for each kid (which they've never looked at since), a library full of kid books that the grandchildren are just starting to paw through when they visit, and I'm gradually giving away/getting rid of all the 580,000 cubic feet of supplies. I'm a TERRIBLE pack rat. But, I will say that much of the stuff I thought the grandchildren might like is more than I need to keep or more than they use. I think you're wise to give away most of what you're not using, because kids are "in" to different stuff from what we thought was incredibly cute when our kids were little. But, legos...keep the 5,000 boxes of legos!

Mrs. Parunak said...

OK, I am WAY too hormonal right now with my ten-day-old baby in my arms to even THINK about getting rid of my homeschooling stuff after my caboose is done. I'm just going to pretend that isn't ever going to happen. BUT I will say that we've benefitted from the homeschool hand-me-downs of other families, whose children, strangely enough, did grow up.